The days may all be a blur but the weekends are a time to refresh. Save time scrolling and check…
Get out the house and spend time outside. Sign your kids up for a nature class or check out a drop-in event.
Dinosaur Hill Nature Preserve offers a variety of hour long pre-k, youth and family classes. Classes are generally $5 for residents and $7 for non-residents. Here are some upcoming classes.
- Four Feet Down the Trail – Wednesday, April 25th
- The Arbor Day Campfire – Friday, April 30th
- Feathered Friends (Ages 3 to 5) – Saturday, May 22nd
The Farmington Hills Heritage Park is one of our favorite places and features a Nature Discovery Trail and outdoor classes for kids.
- Nature Makerspace Experiences (Ages 6+) – Thursdays & Saturdays
- Junior Naturalist Club (Ages 5 to 11) – Saturdays
- Farmington Area Outdoor Explorers Club (Ages 7 to 11) – Wednesdays
Hawk Woods offers groomed nature trails, a heated restroom/shower facility open year-round, a covered picnic shelter that can be reserved in season, six overnight camping cabins, all complimented by 80 acres of beautiful woods, meadows, and marsh. Sign up for guided walk with your child to learn about the outdoors.
- Little Hikers (Ages 0 to 6) – Fridays
- Storytime (Ages 3 to 6) – Thursday, May 13th
- Rainy Days & Rainbows – Saturday, May 22nd
Kensington Metro Park has a Nature and Farm Center for family exploration. Sign your littles up for Family Chow Time at the Farm to help farm staff to feed the pigs, goats, cows, and more. Families and young farmers will learn what each animal eats and why. Sturdy shoes or boots are recommended.
- Family Chow Time at the Farm (Ages 4+) – Fridays + Saturdays
The Nature Center at Lake St. Clair Metropark features displays on wetlands, waterfowl, live animals and the historical use of the area by the French Voyageurs. Several miles of interpreter or self-guided nature trails teeming with wildlife traverse a freshwater marsh, meadows and woods.
- Exploring Nature Through The Seasons (Family program) – Wednesday, April 28th
Stage Nature Center is one of our favorite places to visit and the large climbing rocks at the front of the front lawn of the building are part of the reason why. If you’re able to convince your kids to leave the rocks, the interpretive building is open to the public and kids can check out the aqua wall with live reptiles and amphibians, an observation beehive, and many other wildlife displays. Ofcourse you can also sign up for an outdoor class.
- Little Acorns (Ages 2-4) – Thursday, April 29th
- Knee High Naturalists (Ages 2-4) – Third Thursday and Friday
- Nature Explorers (Ages 5+) – Saturday, May 15th
- Walk With A Naturalist (All Ages) – Saturday, May 8th
The Nature Room features a variety of educational, hands-on action stations that will have you and your family learning about all the wonderful aspects of nature right here in West Bloomfield.
- Free Mommy and Me Hikes (Family program) – Thursdays
- Nature Littles (Ages 3-6) – Thursdays
- Nature Outdoor Explorer (All Ages) – Select Dates
Take your animal lover to Wolcott Mill Farm Center to meet the animals on the 250-acre working farm and have fun on the playground.
- Farm Adventures (Ages 10 and under) – Thursdays + Saturdays
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..