Alice lives outside of San Francisco in Redwood City with her husband and two kids (ages 8 and 6). We asked this California girl to share her favorite places to visit in and around the Bay Area.
You’re probably in San Francisco to picnic at Alamo Square Park like the Tanners in the 90s (and the 2010s!) and a photo shoot near the iconic painted ladies (they’re on Steiner St) but don’t miss out on all the other fun things there are to do in the city by the bay. There’s not a bad time to visit the Bay Area but note that winter can be rainy and summer can be unexpectedly cold.
Gott’s is a great place for lunch – they have burgers, salads, shakes plus beer and wine. They have several locations including the Ferry Building Marketplace.
Cafe Borrone on the Peninsula
Cafe Borrone is a family owned restaurant outside of San Francisco in Menlo Park. They use fresh, local, seasonal, organic and work closely with local farmers. When you go, try the frosted mocha!
Go the Park
We love any playground but we have a special love for the big playground in Dolores Park. It’s one of the city’s most popular parks and hosts festivals and special events throughout the year. We also love the Magical Bridge Playground in Palo Alto, it is a carefully designed inclusive park that is great for all kids.
See the Sights
We love to wander the city. There’s so much to explore and the cable cars make it fun to get around. Check out the world’s most crooked street at Lomard. A walk along the beach is a nice way to see the ocean. You can’t miss the Golden Gate Bridge or Golden Gate Park.
- Have fun learning at the California Academy of Sciences’ aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum and rain forest
- Ghirardelli Square is the perfect stop for chocolate lovers
- Take the ferry to Alcatraz Island, a National State Par
- Get curious at the Exploratorium and Children’s Creativity museums
- Head to the historic San Francisco waterfront at PIER 39 and check out sea life at the Aquarium of the Bay
- Go behind the scenes at the Walt Disney Family Museum
- Go wild at the San Francisco Zoo
Photo credit: Facebook