Just like it’s necessary to stock our children’s libraries with diverse literature, it’s also important to do the same with…
Whether you’re out for an afternoon outing or taking up a new hobby here are some places to find horses for visits and lessons.
H.O.P.E. Horsepark (Clarkston)
The H.O.P.E. Horsepark was created in 2016 by the Chislett family. The name, H.O.P.E., standing for “Hold on, Pain Ends”, was inspired by Colin Chislett, who has been battling cancer over the past year. Our mission is to help heal others by bringing them back to nature, using the healing power of horses.
- Horseback riding lessons: Ages 2+ ($45/ session ahead, or $55/session if paying lesson by lesson)
- Trail riding lessons: Ages 2+ ($70/ lesson)
- Fall and winter trail ride/date night ride with bonfire ($200 per couple)
- Mom & me or Dad & me horsemanship classes ($110/ class)
- Kids camp: Ages 5+ ($100)
- Special needs horse/pony class (Free for children or adults with cancer, chronic disease, or special needs)
- Holiday/summer camps ($450/ week)
- Christmas pony pictures with Santa: Ages 2+ ($10)
- Theory classes ($10/ hour)
- Instructor Certification classes (Inquire for more information)
- Stable/Horse management classes (Inquire for more information)
Address: 3090 Weidemann Dr, Clarkston, MI 48348
Haverhill Farms & Hidden Hollow Farms (White Lake)
Haverhill Farms & Hidden Hollow Farms is a year-round, full service equestrian facility situated on 35 acres of rolling meadows and woods in White Lake, its offer riding lessons given by experienced professionals for all ages and skills of hunter jumper and dressage riders from beginners to advanced. HHF offers a variety of lesson packages for the beginner, intermediate and advanced hunter jumper and dressage rider of all ages. We offer lessons 7 days a week – morning and evening times available. Tack and grooming equipment is provided.
- Horseback riding lessons: ($35/ per session semi private, or $40/per session private)
- Pony parties ($30 per rider)
- Lease a horse ($600 a month full-time/$350 a month part-time)
- Riding camp ($350 per camper)
Address: 2986 Mckeachie Rd., White Lake, MI, 48383
Wildwind Equestrian Center (South Lyon)
Wildwind Equestrian Center is owned by head trainer Vikki Gartner and business manager Cindy Richards. Located in South Lyon, Michigan, we are less than 20 minutes from Novi, Northville, Plymouth, Canton, Brighton, Milford, Farmington and Ann Arbor. Our Equestrian Center specializes in English riding lessons for adults and children.
- Group lessons ($30-$38/ hour)
- Private lessons: Ages 4+ ($40-$45/half hour, $60-$70/ hour)
- Horse camps for children ($240-$425/ camp)
- Special Tiny Tots riding program: Ages 4-6 ($45/ half hour)
- Senior Citizen programs ($30/half hour)
- Year round clinics: Ages 7+ ($35-$55/ clinic)
- Boarding with on-site care ($425/ month full board)
- Horse training ($40/individual training session)
- Sales and leasing
Address: 3935 W. Seven Mile Rd, South Lyon, MI 48178
Rushlows Arabians (Romulus)
Rushlow’s Arabians is a professional equine facility that has been involved in the breeding and training of horses including riding lessons for well over thirty years. At the present time, we have over seventy horses in our program and have over one hundred years of combined horsemanship knowledge at work at our facility. We are a family owned and operated business, and all adult members of our family are seasoned equestrian professionals who provide horseback riding lessons as well as horse training services.
- Lessons: Ages 6+ ($30-$40/ hour)
- Horsemanship Courses: Ages 6+ ($400/ week)
- Show/Training $575-$800/ month)
- Boarding ($470/ month)
- Sales and leasing
Address: 29242 Bredow Avenue, Romulus, MI 48174
Maybury Riding Stable (Northville)
With over 40 years experience and passion for horses we provide scenic guided trail rides to the public. Safety is our top priority and focus. Folks young & old come here to relax & enjoy true quality time with their family and friends. So cowboy up and get ready for some real Western riding fun. We have many different options to choose from to make your experience with us great.
- Beginner Basic Western Riding Lessons: Ages 6+ ($45/ half hour)
- Summer Camp: Ages 8+ ($300/ four days)
- Scout Program: ($45/ scout)
- Photo Shoots ($45/ half hour)
- Birthday Parties: Ages 8+ ($400/ 2 hours for 8 riders)
- Pony Party ($15/ person)
Address: 20303 Beck Rd, Northville, MI 48167
Luton Performance Horses (Grosse Ile)
Rob Luton has been highly involved with horses for more than 30 years. He is currently running a training facility and lessons program on the beautiful island of Grosse Ile. He has been teaching youth and adults the elements of horsemanship for over 20 years.
- Private Lessons: Ages 5+ ($35-$45/ hour)
- Group Lessons: Ages 5+ ($34/ hour)
- Performance Training ($750/ month)
- Sale Conditioning ($600/ month)
- Pasture Board ($400/ month)
- Shows ($150-850)
- Halter Breaking for Babies ($150)
- Board ($500)
- Ground Breaking ($650)
Address: 25795 3rd Street, Grosse Ile, MI 48138
Rochester Hills Stables (Leonard)
Rochester Hills Stables is one of the largest riding schools in Michigan. We are an english-style riding school, owned and operated by the Hake family, under directorship of Sharon Hake. She is a professional horsewoman with over 35 years experience in teaching the art of horsemanship.
With over 35 horses in the school, we have a selection of horses suitable for beginning through advanced riders. Riding lessons are conducted year round. RHS has two outdoor riding arenas and a large indoor arena that is utilized in winter months, or during inclement weather. There is an observation room overlooking the indoor arena and a well-stocked tack shop that carries a variety of riding apparel and horse-related supplies.
- Horseback riding lessons (private and group)
- Summer camp for ages 7+
Address: 270 Rochester Rd, Leonard, MI 48367
Windermere Equestrian Center (Clinton Township)
Windermere Equestrian Center, Inc was established in 1983. We have always trained students with a hands on policy. To be a true horseman you must spend time with the animal on the ground. Students who only ride miss out on the joy, friendship, and connection with the horse which can only be developed through working with horses in all aspects of horsemanship — stable management, grooming, health care, ground training and riding.
- Public Lessons: Ages 7+ ($290/ month for hour lesson)
- Owner Lessons ($112-$130/ month)
- Pony Pals: Ages 4-8 ($80/ 3 lessons)
- Home School Partnership Lessons (Free to members of the Centerline Home School Partnership)
- Boarding ($575/ month)
- Horsemanship Day School: Ages 8+ ($470/ 5 days)
- Pony Pal Camp: Ages 5-8 ($310/ week)
Address: 20615 Dunham Road, Clinton Township, MI 48038
Justamere Equestian Centre (Macomb)
We welcome all disciplines of riding and we have a very mixed group of riders & boarders. Some ride English and some ride Western, all are friendly and very supportive of one another. The only thing that is a constant with our boarders & riders is that they are all terrific people! There truly is an atmosphere at Justamere that is hard to beat, and it is all due to the kind people who come here because, plain and simple, they love horses. Justamere will always remain a welcoming and friendly type of place, as it has for over 30 years!
- Private Lessons ($50/ half hour)
- Group Lessons ($40/ hour)
- Boarding ($450/ month)
Address: 56295 Card Rd, Macomb, MI 48042
Pine River Stables (St. Clair)
Come out and join us for an afternoon of family fun in the saddle. With 40+ years in the business of renting horses, we know a bit about what we are doing. We offer over 100 acres of wooded trails, open meadows and small hills for your horseback riding pleasure. We are bordered, in part, by a seasonal creek where wildlife abounds. Whether your taste is the flowers of the spring, warmth of the summer or the colors of fall, our property provides an abundance of seasonal delights.
- Western Riding Lessons
- Trail Rides: Ages 8+ ($35-$40/ hour)
- Pony Rides: 8 and younger ($5-$10)
- Show Arena
- Horse Sales
Address: 1200 Stein Rd, St. Clair, MI 48079
Kaizen Horse Training and Lessons (Monroe)
We offer riding lessons for new or advanced students who are interested in learning more about horseback riding, horsemanship, and equitation. We also offer horse training in all english, western, and pleasure classes. Allow us to help you grow as a rider or develop a partnership with your horse, making your goals achievable. All lessons and training are given to facilitate positivity and reach your maximum potential.
- Lessons ($55/ hour)
- Horse Sales
Address: 620 W Hurd Rd, Monroe, MI 48162
Willow Tree Stables (Romulus)
Willow Tree Stables is a full service boarding facility that also offers riding instruction to greater Detroit. Our riding facility boasts an indoor and outdoor arena, round pen and miles of trails. We are located just 1 mile south of the Metro Detroit airport. Our horses receive ultimate horse care including daily turnout and feed, scheduled farrier visits and individual attention. Willow Tree can offer on site lessons and training. Our facility offers a heated tack room, 2 bathrooms and friendly faces in a family atmosphere.
- Private Lessons: Ages 7+ ($45/ lesson)
- Group Lessons: Ages 7+ ($40/ lesson)
- Full Service Horse Boarding
- Horse Sales & Leasing
Address: 16562 Merriman Rd, Romulus, MI 48174
Willowbrooke Farm (Plymouth)
Willowbrooke Farm is located in Plymouth, Michigan, and is owned and operated by Jennifer Blades. Jennifer has many years of experience in horse training and riding in Hunter Jumper and Dressage both locally and in Florida, and is currently the Equestrian Coach for the University of Michigan.
- Horse Training
- Horse Sales
- Boarding ($600/ month)
- Riding Lessons($30-$50/ lesson)
- Horse Showing($20/ day for day care, $50/ day for full care)
- Camps: Ages 6-16 ($395/ full day, $245/ half day)
Address: 7461 Brookville Dr, Plymouth, MI 48170
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..