It’s Mid-Winter Break and while we LOVE being with our kids, it can be exhausting trying to figure out what to do with them all day! Here some ideas that will keep you inside…but out of the house.
President’s Day Fun
School’s out for President’s Day – here are some fun things to do on Monday and all week long.
- Escape (Troy)
- Cranbrook Institute of Science (Bloomfield Hills)
- The Henry Ford (Dearborn)
- Detroit Zoo (Royal Oak)
Celebrate Black History Month
Winter break is a great time to teach your littles about the accomplishments and contributions of black Americans with a trip to the Cultural Center in Midtown Detroit (all of these venues are walking steps away from each other.
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Detroit Public Library – Main
- Charles H Wright Museum
- Detroit Historical Museum
Don’t worry about making a mess at home and head out for some arts and crafts. Drop in to a local art shop for pottery, painting and more.
- Creative Arts Studio (Royal Oak)
- Creatopia (Plymouth)
- Plaster Playhouse (Shelby Township)
- The Bee’s Knees Pottery Studio (Northville)
- Pottery Creations (Wyandotte)
Bring Back Summer
Find an indoor pool with water slides, splash pads and whirlpools.
- Troy Community Center
- Canton Aquatic Center
- Macomb Township Aquatics Center
- Dearborn Ford Center
- Warren Community Center
Try Something New
Let the littles run around and be silly with knockerball (aka bubble soccer), use a football to knock down bowling pins at fowling in Hamtramck or Auburn Hills or shake up hide and seek at the Detroit Dart Club.
Go to an Indoor Playground
Get a coffee or a smoothie and let the kids have fun while you relax and chat with other parents.
- Detroit Kid City (Dearborn, Southfield + Clinton Township)
- Jungle Java (multiple locations)
- Chelsea Treehouse (Chelsea)
- Rochester Play (Rochester)
- YoYo Fun Center (Westland)
Root for the Home Team
- Detroit Pistons – Thursday, February 20
- Detroit Red Wings – February 18 & 23
- Detroit Roller Derby – Saturday, February 22
- USA Hockey – February 20, 21 & 22
Take the family out for a night on us! Enter to win 4 tickets to a USA Hockey Game AND a $50 gift card to CJ’s Brewing Company. The fast paced games will excite the whole family, the arena is easy to navigate with kids and concessions are delicious and affordable – can’t beat that!
Can’t be at home all week with the kids?
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..