Pack in all your fall favorites at one place when you visit Wiard's Country Fair in Ypsilanti. Check it out…
School’s out and we’re ready to enjoy every minute of summer! Start making plans for an island adventure, a relaxing ride on a lazy river and a banging good time in your own neighborhood. Here are 10 activities to put on your summer bucket-list!
Splash & Play
Put on the swimsuits and sunscreen and get ready to beat the heat. Nothing says summer more than getting wet and having fun with water.
- Guide to Metro Detroit Splash Parks
- 5 Waterparks in Metro Detroit
- Inflatable Water Parks In Michigan
- 5 Beaches The Kids Will Love
Have An Island Adventure
You don’t need to get on a plane to find an island getaway. Belle Isle State Park offers fun for the whole family. Load up the bikes and buggies, pack food for a bbq and get ready for a day of fun at these free attractions (State Park vehicle pass required to drive on island) :
- Walk through the gardens and plan a picnic at the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory
- Find unique fish at the the Belle Isle Aquarium – the oldest aquarium in the United States
- See and (pretend) to sail on a variety of ships at the Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Get an insider look at conservation at the Belle Isle Nature Center
- Play in the sand, splash in the water and see the city skyline at Belle Isle Beach
Check Out A Festival/Fair & Fireworks
Enjoy food on a stick and see your town from new heights on a ferris wheel. The carnival is coming to a town near you and you don’t want to miss it! You also don’t want to miss the magic of fireworks on a cool summer night. Bundle up, snuggle up and pick your favorite design when fireworks light up the sky.
Go To A Ball Game
Order hot dogs, cheesy nachos or giant pretzels and get ready to enjoy America’s favorite pastime! There’s a few places to watch a baseball game around town and if you’ve had your fill from little league, come root for Le Rouge at Keyworth Stadium.
- Detroit Tigers @ Comerica Park: Friday night fireworks and Sundays kids can ride the carousal + ferris wheel for free and run the bases after the game.
- United Shore Professional Baseball League @ Jimmy John’s Field: Friday night fireworks and Sunday theme nights.
- Toledo Mud Hens @ Fifth Third Field: Regular post-game fireworks and kids run the bases.
- Detroit City Football Club @ Keyworth Stadium: Food trucks and soccer fun.
Spend Time Outside
Skip the grocery store and head to your garden or a local farmers market for fresh food, then pack a picnic and run around a local park before bedtime.
- Guide to Metro Detroit Farmers Market
- 3 Steps To Starting A Vegetable Garden
- 4 Fun Places To Picnic in Metro Detroit
See A Movie on the Big Screen
Let the kids stay up late and squeeze in a date with your favorite person at a drive-in double header. Toys Story 4, The Lion King, Dora and the Lost City of Gold, and The Angry Birds Movie 2 come out this summer if you want to see something new. If you’d prefer tried and true favorites, skip the parking lot and try a movie in the park.
- Ford Drive-In – 10400 Ford Road, Dearborn, MI 48126
- USA Hockey Summer Drive-In – 14900 North Beck Road, Plymouth, MI 48170
- Family Guide to FREE Outdoor Movies in Metro Detroit
Learn Something New
Don’t let your littles suffer from brain drain during the summer months, plan a trip to the museum and learn something new.
Sign Up For Summer Reading
This year’s Summer Reading theme is A Universe of Stories and all libraries are participating. Visit your local library to sign up for the summer reading challenge and find cool events, fun prizes and plenty of books! Even babies can sign-up – you’re never too young to enjoy reading! If you need ideas for what to read here some favorites:
Cool Down With Ice Cream
Shake up the average ice cream routine, take a road trip for some farm fresh ice cream or try somewhere new.
- Cook’s Farm Dairy – 2950 E Seymour Lake Road Ortonville, MI 48462
- Calder’s Dairy Farm – 9334 Finzel Rd, Carleton, MI 48117
- Crooked Creek Farm Dairy – 75960 Brown Rd, Romeo, MI 48065
- 10 Creative Ice Cream Spots In Metro Detroit
Take a Family Picture
The summer will be over before we’re ready so don’t forget to capture the moment and the memories. Take a picture (make sure you’re in it!) and post it to social media and tag us @littleguidedetroit. We’ll pick a picture every week to share and the poster will win a $25 gift card!
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..