We love a good playground and the one planned for Lower Huron Metropark looks incredible. Lower Huron Metropark will…
This President’s Day, what better way to celebrate than to honor Gerald Ford, the only President raised right here in Michigan. Take a trip to Grand Rapids (2.5 hours from Detroit) and visit his Presidential Museum to learn more about the 38th President of the United States and his wife, Betty Ford.
The museum allows visitors to experience highlights from President and Mrs. Ford’s lives and features exhibits that teach about democratic citizenship. In addition to the permanent exhibits, changing temporary exhibits draw artifacts from Museums all over the country.
Hours: Monday – Saturday 9am to 5pm and Sunday 12pm to 5pm
Admission: $8 adults, $4 youth ages 6 to 18, and children 5 and younger are free.
Where to eat:
- Terra // 1429 Lake Dr. SE: Check out Terra for lunch or dinner. The food is delicious and it’s a kid friendly environment – cute plastic plates, forks, and sippy cups AND a little nook with books/toys.
- Stella’s Lounge // 53 Commerce Ave: Get dinner at Stella’s before you head back home. Dad’s will love their GQ famous stuffed burger and kids will love playing old-school arcade games.
- Downtown Market // 435 Ionia Ave. SW: The indoor market is packed with food stalls that will allow you to find delicious food for even your pickiest eater.
Not up for a road trip? Get an Instagram worthy shot for President’s Day at one of these landmarks in Detroit.
- George Washington Statue @ Mariner’s Church on Jefferson Ave near Hart Plaza: 170 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI 48226
- Abraham Lincoln Bust @ UAW-Ford National Programs Center in Hart Plaza:151 W Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI 48226
- Ulysses Grant House is not accessible to the public but located at W. State Fair Avenue, west of Woodward and south of 8 Mile. (it will be moved to Eastern Market)
- Barack Obama picture @ The Jolly Pumpkin Pizzeria: 441 W Canfield St #9, Detroit, MI 48201
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..