The days may all be a blur but the weekends are a time to refresh. Save time scrolling and check…
Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices is premiering on Netflix on September 1st and will feature black artists reading popular children’s books featuring black characters. Cuddle up on the couch and get ready for story time.
Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices is a live-action series that brings children’s books to life for 12 five minute shows. The topics covered include identity, respect, justice and action and will help family relate and engage on issues of race and identity. The show is hosted (and co-produced) by 15 year old, activist and author Marley Dias. who received national attention at age 11 for starting #1000BlackGirlBooks.
The series line-up includes:
- Tiffany Haddish: I Love My Hair by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley
- Grace Byers: I Am Enough by Grace Byers
- Caleb McLaughlin: Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut by Derrick Barnes
- Lupita Nyong’o: Sulwe by Lupita Nyong’o
- Marsai Martin: ABC’s For Girls Like Me by Melanie Goolsby
- Karamo Brown: I Am Perfectly Designed by Karamo Brown
- Jill Scott: Pretty Brown Face and Brown Boy Joy by Andrea Davis Pinkney and Thomishia Bookerker
- Misty Copeland: Firebird by Misty Copeland
- Common: Let’s Talk About Race by Julius Lester
- Jacqueline Woodson: The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson
- Kendrick Sampson: Anti-Racist Baby by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi
- Marley Dias: We March written by Shane W. Evans
Looking for more books featuring diverse characters?
Photo credit: Time for Kids – Andrea Cipriani Mecchi
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..