The Pontiac Skatepark Project is ready to take the Oakland Park skate space to the next level with a state…
Do you need ideas for activities to do with kids? Tried and true suggestions that real moms actually do? Here they are! We’re asking families to share their favorites, to help you find yours.
Since we’re sharing other moms favorites, we thought it would be a good idea to share our own!
Favorite Ways To Spend Family Time:
- Bike rides – our 3 year old learned how to ride a bike with no training wheels during quarantine and our 1 year is right behind him on the balance bike.
- ‘Bear Hunts’ (i.e. nature walks with a fun twist from our favorite book, We’re Going on a Bear Hunt).
- We are incredibly fortunate to have a lake retreat not far from us, but my parents live on a small non-motorized lake just 35 minutes from us. So we call it our ‘cottage’, which is a great retreat from city living and the boys just love swimming there!
Favorite Places To Go:
- Dequindre Cut
- Huron-Clinton Metroparks (Check out the outdoor farm at Kensington Metropark)
- Michigan Science Center
- The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson
- Iggy Peck, Architect by Andrea Beaty
- The World Needs More Purple People by Kristen Bell
Admittedly, I am not the cook in our family. Fortunately for me, my husband enjoys cooking and is great at it. But I would have to say, his palomino sauce and homemade pasta is my favorite dish (good luck getting the secret recipe from him)!
Your Mom Must Have: Michigan Fields
We recently started utilizing Michigan Fields, a home delivery of Michigan based produce, dairy and meat, and it has been so convenient for our weekly shopping needs that I would highly recommend it for any local family looking to support local, buy local, and shop easier/more convenient.
Best Park/Playground: Detroit Riverfront (Detroit)
Detroit Riverfront offers miles of paths to walk, bike or run, along with nature trails to explore (we love looking for frogs), and their new Valade Park and Beach offers a beautiful new playground to enjoy.
Best Annual Event: Thanksgiving Day Parade
Best Summer Destination: Water
“Pat Yourself on the Back” Accomplishment:
I’m incredibly proud of the community we’ve been able to build as part of LittleGuide Detroit. I started it out of my own personal need to connect with other moms/families, while trying to figure out what we could do with our kids, and I’m grateful that as a result, it has surrounded me with an entire community of amazing people, constant ideas and incredible inspiration.
Photo credit: Apartment Therapy
About Ashley Hubbbard-Porter
Ashley Porter is a Chicago native who now calls Birmingham home. Ashley and her husband Mike and son Jake love attending local festivals, exploring Detroit’s diverse food scene, and venturing outside of Metro Detroit to enjoy the natural beauty of Michigan. With a background in Early Childhood Education, Ashley loves connecting with and supporting families in her community, which is why she is so excited to be a part of LittleGuide Detroit.