Stay up late, stock up snacks and enjoy these movies on the big screen. Vivo - June 4th A…
It’s a day of remembering and celebrating the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; it’s also a day off for most school-aged kids. Fortunately for us, many of the museums and local venues are opening their doors (most for FREE) and giving us plenty of ideas and options to do with our littles on Monday, January 15th.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is The Wright Museum’s busiest day of the year – and with good reason! It’s an exciting day of celebration that includes musical performances, arts and crafts, children’s workshops, storytelling, video tributes, displays of MLK and Coretta Scott King artifacts and more.
- Time: 9am – 5pm
- Cost: All activities and exhibits are included with museum admission, which is $8 for adults (ages 13 +), $5 for seniors (62 +) and youth (ages 3 – 12), and free for museum members and children under 3.
Come celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the many ordinary people who had the extraordinary courage and commitment to ask for more from their nation on civil rights. Bring your family and friends, we open Henry Ford Museum to the community on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day absolutely FREE.
- Time: 9:30am – 5pm
- Cost: Free admission and free parking, activities and dramatic presentations.
Celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on MLK Day with “Bring the Dream to Life” on Monday, January 15 at the Detroit Historical Museum. The program hosted by the Black Historic Sites Committee will feature children’s activities including making your own Martin Luther King Jr. coloring and activity book, open mic poetry with a focus on “the spirit of Dr. King” hosted by One Single Rose as well as cupcakes to celebrate what would have been the activist’s 89th birthday.
- Time: 10am – 4pm
- Cost: Free Admission
In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, create pamphlet-stitch notebooks, one to be donated to a local school and one for yourself.
- Time: 11am – 3pm
- Cost: Free Admission for tri-county residents (Macomb, Wayne & Oakland Counties)
DAY TRIP: ANN ARBOR
Looking for something different to do with the kids? Head out to Ann Arbor for a mini-day trip and visit the museums, activities and dining options just an hour (or less) away!
- Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum: Let your littles explore, create and have fun for a day at the hands-on museum!
- Time: 10am – 5pm
- Cost: $6 admission (reduced for MLK Day)
- Ann Arbor Arts Center: Come create your own unique collage inspired by artist Romare Bearden during our free family drop-in event on Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2018. All ages are welcome but children will need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Time: 10:30am – 2:30pm
- Cost: Free drop-in event for all ages
- Ann Arbor Restaurant Week: From January 14 – 19 participating restaurants are opening their doors for $15 lunch and $28 dinners. Perfect for a day trip to Ann Arbor!
ACTIVITIES & IDEAS
- GO SLEDDING: Snow is in the forecast for this weekend, so hopefully there will be some still left on those hills for some outdoor fun. Check out our list of Metro Detroit’s top sledding hills, from kiddy mounds to ‘Dead Man’ hills!
- CATCH A GAME: The Detroit Pistons are taking on the Charlotte Hornets at 12:30pm at the Little Caesars Arena – get your tickets today!
- SKATING IN THE CITY: Head downtown, bring (or rent) skates and enjoy the city center on ice. Rink skating goes from 11am – 6pm. Admission/Rentals: $8 Adults, $7 Kids
- STAY & SKATE WITH TEAM USA: It’s their annual MLK, Jr. Day matinee game when the puck drops at 2pm for the U17 vs. Muskegon game. Kids are invited to bring their skates to stay for a free skate with the entire team after the game. Some free rental skates are available while they last. Game tickets: $10-$12 / $5 parking
Photo credit: Facebook
About Kerry Doman
Kerry Doman is the founder and CEO of LittleGuide Detroit and After 5 Detroit. She has lived downtown Detroit for 10+ years and still calls the city home with her husband and son. As a relatively new mom, she’s excited to explore downtown with her family and hopes you’ll enjoy doing the same!