Whether you have a baby Mozart or a Drumline Dreamer, music helps kids express their feelings and let out energy. Here are some classes that will inspire your child to march to the beat to their own drum.
MSU Community Music School (Detroit)
Michigan State University’s (MSU) Community Music Schools in East Lansing (CMS) and Detroit (CMS-D) are outreach units of the MSU College of Music. CMS and CMS-D bring music education and music therapy to individuals of all ages and abilities.
- Music Building Blocks for Babes: Birth – 2 ($150 / semester: Jan. – April)
- Music Time for Tots: Ages 3-4 ($150 / semester: Jan. – April)
- Music Rocks: Ages 5-6 ($150 / semester: Jan. – April)
- Singing Sprouts: Ages 5-8 ($160 / yr or $85 / semester)
- Pre-AMP Building Musical Foundation: Ages 7-8 ($160 / yr or $85 / semester)
- Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone, Brass, Percussion, Piano, Guitar, String: Ages 9-17
Address: MSU Community Music School-Detroit, 3408 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48201
Music Academy (Grosse Pointe/ Canton/Clinton Township)
We teach beginning through advanced students to play and sing in many different styles of music. Rock, blues, jazz, country, and classical are just some of what we do at Grosse Pointe Music Academy. Private music lessons focus on building solid fundamentals as well as allow for creative expressions of music, along with training in improvisation. Structured lesson plans tailored for the individual will give you the tools you need to take your playing ability to new heights.
- Music Together: Birth – 5 ($209 / 10 classes)
- Big Kids Music Together: Ages 5-7 ($209 / 10 classes)
- Guitar, Piano, Drum, Bass, Voice, Strings, Brass and Woodwinds, Ukulele
Address: 19443 Mack Avenue, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236
Address: 5880 N Canton Center Road, Suite 425, Canton, MI 48187
Address: 20738 Hall Road, Clinton Township, MI 48038
Detroit School of Rock & Pop Music (Royal Oak)
Our mission is to establish a diversemusical community focused on the pursuit of excellence through a positive, motivating, and educational environment. Our vision is to be recognized and respected as one of the premier music education facilities in the country, providing unparalleled guidance and mentorship to those in our care, and bringing positive and enriching value to the community at large.
- Kids Band Program: Age 12 and Under ($220 / 4 weeks)
- Student Band Program: Ages 13-18 ($320 / 4 weeks)
- Jazz Program: Ages 13+ ($160 / 4 weeks)
Address: 1109 South Washington, Royal Oak, MI 48067
Music Authority School (Dearborn Heights)
Music Authority offers group classes for children. Students are encouraged to work together to achieve a common goal. Collaboration and social interaction are the main themes here. Students have the opportunity to learn from each other in a friendly, non competitive atmosphere. Children get to make new friends with their fellow musicians. Regular in-class performances motivate the children to polish and complete each song they learn. Even learning about music theory is fun when in a group setting. Material is presented in an interactive game like fashion which gets all children involved and eager to learn.
- Music Play for Beginners: Ages 2-4
- Fiddle (String) for Beginners Class
- Rock Band: Ages 7-18
- Drums, Flute, Guitar, Piano, Accordion, Viola, Violin, Voice: ($104 / 4 lessons per month or $130 / 5 lessons per month)
Address: 25135 W Warren Avenue, Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
Living Arts (Detroit)
Living Arts is a nonprofit organization serving Detroit youth and families through school and community-based arts education initiatives. Living Arts is a far-reaching multi-dimensional arts and education organization, consisting of our award winning Southwest Dance program and El Arte, our arts-infused education curriculum.
- Baby Artsplay!: Ages 3 months – 2 years ($30/month)
- Wolf Trap Pre-K: Ages 3 – 4 years ($30/month)
- Beatmaking & Recording: Ages 11-18 years ($30/month)
Address: Ford Resource and Engagement Center – 2826 Bagley Ave, Detroit, MI, 48216
Motor City Music Together (Royal Oak/Detroit)
Hello, everybody!Welcome to Motor City Music Together, offering Music Together in Detroit and Madison Heights! Music Together is an internationally recognized early childhood program for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners and the adults who love them. Come join our community, share quality family time, and create memories that will last a lifetime. Together, we can make the world a better place. By making it more musical.
- Mixed Ages: Birth – 5 years ($185 / 10 weeks)
Suzuki Royal Oak Institute of Music: 30701 Barrington Street, Suite 125, Madison Heights, MI 48071
Detroit Symphony Orchestra: 3711 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201
Cathedral Church of St. Paul: 4800 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201
Kindermusik (Troy/ Birmingham/Livonia/Canton/West Bloomfield/Auburn Hills)
We live to spread the power and joy of music-making as a vital learning experience for young children and families.We believe the earlier a child is introduced to singing, instrument play, and joyful movement the further they will go. We should know. We’ve been transforming the lives of children around the world for the last three generations. And we’re just getting started.
- Foundations: Birth – 2 ($220 / 12 classes)
- Mixed Ages: Ages 0-7 ($220 / 12 classes)
- Level 2: Ages 2-3 ($220 / 12 classes)
- Level 4: Ages 4-6 ($285 / 18 classes)
- Level 5: Ages 5-7 ($285 / 18 classes)
Address: First Baptist Music Academy – 2601 John R Road, Troy, MI 48083
Address: The Community House – 380 S Bates Street, Birmingham, MI 48009
Address: Angel Gardens Assisted Living – 38910 W 6 Mile Road, Livonia, MI 48152
Address: Evola School of Music- 7170 N Haggerty, Canton, MI 48187
Address: West Bloomfield Parks & Recreation: 4840 Walnut Lake Road, West Bloomfield MI 48323
Address: The Apostolic Church – 3655 N. Squirrel Rd.,Auburn Hills, MI 48326
Gymboree Play & Music (Birmingham/ Rochester)
At Gymboree Play & Music we have every aspect of your child’s development covered — from social interaction to physical activity to cognitive learning. We use a whole child learning approach to support development and intellectual advancement. Our specially designed classes incorporate innovation with classic learning techniques to engage young minds. Through play, children will develop the confidence, creativity, curiosity and learning skills they need for school and beyond. The possibilities are endless.
- Family Music: Ages 6 months – 5 years ($75 / month)
- Music I: Ages 6 – 16 months ($75 / month)
- Music II: Ages 16 – 28 months ($75 / month)
- Music III: Ages 28 – 5 years ($75 / month)
Address: 643 S Adams Road, Birmingham, MI 48009
Address: 2220 Crooks Road, Rochester, MI 48309
Music House Rocks (Oak Park)
From our toddler and baby music classes, which teach fun songs and xylophone instruction, to advanced piano lessons covering Bach to Billy Joel, Music House Rocks has something for everyone!
- Baby Rocks!: Ages Birth – 2
- Toddler Rocks!: Ages 2-4 (Single Class: $12)
- Preschool Keyschool: Ages 3-4
Addres: 14097 Victoria Street, Oak Park, MI 48237
Play and Make Music (Novi)
Looking for a place where your child can develop learning skills through music and motor activities, use cooperation and social skills to make new friends and be introduced to structured activities that will help prepare for pre-school? Come experience the indoor playground and group music activities of Play and Make Music.
- Playtime Band/Baby: Ages 10-18 months ($135 / 10 classes)
- Playtime Band/Toddler: Ages 18-30 months ($135 / 10 classes)
- Playtime Band/Child: Ages 2.5 – 4 years ($135 / 10 classes)
Address: Novi Total Sports Complex: 41550 Grand River Avenue, Novi, MI 48375
Music Together® is an internationally recognized early childhood music program for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and the adults who love them. This program pioneered the concept of a research-based, developmentally appropriate early childhood music curriculum that strongly emphasizes and facilitates adult involvement. In a Music Together® class, you will have fun singing, dancing, playing, and bonding with your child(ren). It’s an experience like no other!
- Mixed-Age: Birth – 5 years ($180 / 10 classes)
Address: 125 S. Main Street, Milford, MI 48381
ABOUT KERRY DOMAN
Kerry Doman is the founder and CEO of LittleGuide Detroit and After 5 Detroit. She has lived downtown Detroit for 10+ years and still calls the city home with her husband and son. As a relatively new mom, she’s excited to explore downtown with her family and hopes you’ll enjoy doing the same!