Venues are slowly starting to re-open. Head out the house with your family, have some fun and keep following along…
March is National Reading Month. Plan a trip to your local library for storytime or a special event.
Ann Arbor District Library – Downtown
343 S 5th Ave, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
- Drawing for Kids – March 10, 17 & 24 (1pm to 2pm): Join us for a directed drawing activity for youth with artists from the Ann Arbor Art Center!
- Ahoy Matey! Pirate Storytime & Craft – March 25 (11am to 12pm): Join us for fun pirate and treasure-themed stories and then make your very own treasure chest!
- Puppet Show! – March 26 (2pm to 2:30pm): Join AADL storytellers for a fun and silly spring puppet show!
- Family Reading and Science – March 27 (2pm to 3pm): Life has found ways of surviving even in the most unnatural of spaces. Learn how animals are adapting to life within our cities and how humans are learning to adapt to life in space. Join the U-M Museum of Natural History experts for hands-on stations that are set up to engage the whole family in science learning!
- Pirate Party – March 29 (2pm to 4pm): Arrr matey! Celebrate the pirate life by participating in pirate crafts and activities!
- Baby Playgroups – March 11, 18 & 25 (10:30am to 11:30am): This is a time for babies up to 24 months and their grown-ups to gather and play. The Library will provide the space and a variety of toys. Each playgroup includes 15 minutes of stories, rhymes and songs followed by open playtime. Parents/guardians must remain with their children. No older siblings, please.
- Preschool Story Times (ages 2-5) – March 12, 19 & 26 (10am to 10:30am): Join us for stories and songs for listeners age 2 to 5 years, accompanied by an adult. Siblings are welcome.
- Preschool Story Times (ages 2-5) – March 13, 20 & 27 (11am to 11:30am): Join us for stories and songs for listeners age 2 to 5 years, accompanied by an adult. Siblings are welcome.
Auburn Hills Public Library
3400 E. Seyburn Dr. Auburn Hills, MI 48326
- March Reading Party – March 16 @2pm: Dress up as a book character and enjoy crafts, treats, and games.
- Tween Code Club – March 5 (7pm to 8pm): Have you always wanted to learn how to code? If you’re in grades 5-8, sign up for our Coding Club! Each month we will complete exciting challenges that explore the basics of different coding languages.
- Family Storytime – March 2 & 16 (10:30am to 11:30am): Bring your whole family for our Saturday morning storytime! This program will feature books, songs, activities, and a craft. This program is meant to be time for the whole family to enjoy the Library.
- Toddler Time – Wednesdays @ 10:30am: Toddler Time is for children ages 18-35 months with a parent or caregiver. Bring in your toddlers for a special bonding time just for them. We’ll read books and learn new rhymes and songs, along with lots of interactive fun. Free play will follow each session.
- It’s Elementary – Wednesdays @ 5pm: Each week we will learn about a new subject and then create and experiment with activities based on the topic.
- Rock ‘N Rhyme – Thursday @ 10:30am: Join us for this drop-in storytime just for babies! Enjoy nursery rhymes, songs, stories, and bubbles followed by free play for those who wish to stay. We will often have fun with instruments or scarves too!
- Come and Play (ages 1-4) – Monday @ 10:30am: Visit the Library for stories, songs, and then free play with our toys.
Baldwin Public Library (Birmingham)
300 W. Merrill St., Birmingham, MI 48009
- Tea with Rex – March 23 (11am to 12pm): Join us for a story time featuring the book Tea Rex by Molly Idle, followed by a fancy dress tea party.
- Sensory Storytime – March 25 (11am to 11:45): Join us for a more laid-back, inclusive story time that explores the sights, sounds, touch, and smells.
- Join the Ruff Readers – March 26 (6:30pm to 7:30pm): Read aloud to the best listener on earth – a specially trained dog from Therapy Dogs International. Ages 6 and up.
- Extreme Waterslide Challenge – March 27 (4:30pm to 5:30pm): Grades 4 to 6. Create extreme mini-waterslides filled with loops, twists, and turns. Just make sure your slide can carry passengers safely from start to finish!
- Babytime – March 4, 5, 18 & 19 @ 10am & 11am: Story time for babies from birth to 18 months and a loving adult. The program is 20 minutes of structured story time and 10 minutes of play time.
- Sing & Tell – March 6, 8, 20 & 22 @ 10am & 11am: 30 minute story time with craft for ages 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years and a loving adult.
- Mother Goose – March 12 & 26 @ 10am & 11am: 30 minute story time for toddlers ages 1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years and a loving adult with stories, songs, flannels, and puppets.
- Full STEAM Ahead – March 12, 13, 26 & 27 @ 2pm: 30 minute science, technology, engineering, art, and math story time for children ages 3 1/2 to 5 and a loving adult. Includes crafts and activities.
- Just Me – March 14 & 28 @ 11am: 30 minute story time with crafts and activities for independent listeners while adults remain in the Youth Room.
Clarkston Independence District Library
6495 Clarkston Rd, Clarkston, MI 48346
- Slime & State of Matter with Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum – March 11 @ 6pm: Is it a solid? A liquid? A gas? Join us as we will discover the properties of each state of matter by making our ooey, gooey slime. We’ll also discuss how molecules look and act when changing between states of matter. Children will get to take home their slime as well as a recipe to make it again at home. Grades K-5.
- Music and Movement – March 22: Miss Jamie will delight you with all things music and movement for this active and fun session! For ages 0-5.
- Super Magical Unicorn Party – March 30 @ 1pm: You love unicorns! We love unicorns! So let’s celebrate the magical world of unicorns together! We will read a story about unicorns, create fun unicorn crafts, and enjoy a unicorn themed snack.
- Little Gigglers – March 4, 11 & 18 (10:30am to 11:30am): Bring your toddler (ages walking to 23 mos.) to this fun and engaging storytime which includes books, felt stories, songs, a craft and sensory activities appropriate for this age group!
- Pre-School Storytime – March 5, 12 & 19 (10:30am to 11:30am): Bring your 3-5 year old to this engaging, age-appropriate storytime! There will be books, flannel stories, songs, crafts and sensory activities designed to build your child’s literacy skills.
- Wee Wigglers – March 6, 13 & 20 (10:30am to 11:30am): Bring your two year old to this fun, age-appropriate storytime! We will share books, songs, flannel stories, a craft and sensory activities all designed to help build your two-year-old’s literacy skills.
- Baby Storytime – March 7, 14 & 21 (10:30am to 11:30am): This lap-sit storytime is designed for our youngest patrons, ages 0-walking, and their caregivers. Join us for some shared stories, flannel-stories, bounces, songs and rhymes.
- PJ Storytime – March 7, 14 & 21 (6:30pm to 7:30pm): Bring all of your children ages 0-5 to this fun family-centered storytime! We will enjoy books, songs, flannel stories, a craft and sensory activities together!
Clinton-Macomb Public Library – Main
40900 Romeo Plank Rd, Clinton Township, MI 48038
- Kid Con – March 30 @ 10am: Comic Con is back and better than ever with games, crafts, and fun for all ages and for FREE! Drop by between 10am-6pm to experience the fun. Kick it off at 9:30am with Superhero Storytime, then join us in the activity room for crafts, games, and fun. Then don’t miss our photo ops, family escape rooms (sign up on site), scavenger hunt, and other fun surprises!
- Baby Time on Mondays @ 9:30 am: Stories, songs, bounces and rhymes designed for infants not yet walking & parents/caregivers to participate in together. (20 minutes plus play time)
- Tot Time Plus on Mondays @ 10:30 am: For babies and young twos who are walking books, rhymes, music and more. (20 minutes plus play time)
- Little Listeners on Tuesdays @ 10am: Longer stories told with books, puppets, and flannel board, action rhymes and songs. (30 minutes)
- Tot Time on Tuesdays @ 11am: For babies who are walking books, rhymes, music and more. (20 minutes plus play time)
- Little Listeners on Wednesdays @ 9:30 am: Longer stories told with books, puppets, and flannel board, action rhymes and songs. (30 minutes)
- Preschoolers on Wednesdays @ 10:30 am: On-my-own story time with longer stories and songs told with books, flannel boards, puppets and other props for children who are not yet in kindergarten. Adults are welcome but not required to attend. (30 minutes)
Dearborn Public Library – Henry Ford Centennial
16301 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI 48126
- Investing the Insides – March 5 (6pm to 7pm): Discover how NASA scientists investigate the insides of planets
and use scientific tools like infrared thermometers and magnets!
- Magnet Play – March 14 @ 2pm: Young scientists attending Preschool Adventures will enjoy magnet play to
discover more about the poles.
- I Spy – March 19: Explore the library with a set of binoculars to gain a new perspective on
- Astronaut Training Academy – March 25 (1pm to 5pm): Find out what it takes to be an astronaut. Complete all training
challenges and become part of an elite group.
- Bunny Storytime and Visit – March 28 @ 10:30am: A morning of stories, songs, rhymes, and a visit from the Easter Bunny.
- Mother Goose Storytime – March 8, 15 & 22 @ 10:30am: Babies and tots with a caregiver enjoy bounces, songs, and stories
followed by a play time.
- Toddler Storytime – March 7, 14 & 21 @ 10:30am: Children with a caregiver are invited for stories, songs, and fun.
- Preschool Adventures – March 7, 14 & 21 @ 2pm: Preschool aged children and their caregivers complete activities that
promote and strengthen early literacy skills.
Detroit Public Library- Main Branch
5201 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48202
- Read Across America – March 2 (12:30pm to 3pm): The Cat in the Hat will read stories and there will be Dr. Seuss themed crafts.
- Yoga Story Time – March 1, 13, 15, 27 & 29 (10:30am to 11:30am): Learn some relaxing yoga stretches then listen to some stories with Andrew Simmons
- Toddler Story Time – March 6, 13, 20 & 27 (10:30am to 12pm): Storytime is from 10:30am to 11am with play and snack time is from 11am to noon.
- Pre-School Story Time (ages 3-6) – March 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 (10:30am to 12pm): Storytime is from 10:30am to 11am with play and snack time is from 11am to noon.
- Afterschool Activities – March 6, 13, 20 & 27 (3:30pm to 7pm): Variety of activities or kits available; science, arts and crafts, poetry, book club select weeks.
- Book Babies – March 5, 12, 19 & 26 (10:30am to 12pm): Play and snack time is from 11am to noon.
Livonia Civic Center Public Library
32777 Five Mile, Livonia MI 48150
- Fun and Simple Jewelry Making – March 9 (1pm to 2pm): Ages 7-12. Get ready for new spring fashions by creating jewelry to match your own sense of style. Accessories include paper bead necklaces and decorated hair clips.
- Reading with Max – March 16 (1pm to 2pm): Ages 6 – 12. Bring your favorite book and practice your reading skills with Max, our certified therapy dog (he is a very good listener!).
- St. Patrick’s Day Fun – March 17 (2pm to 4pm): Join us for family-friendly, Irish-themed crafts.
- Baby Storytime – March 11, 18 & 25 (9:30am to 9:50am): Ages 12 to 17 months with parent or loving caregiver. Babies are invited to bring a loving caregiver along for songs, simple stories, and other activities that introduce our youngest patrons to the pleasures of the library.
- Baby Storytime – March 11, 18 & 25 (10:30am to 10:50am): Ages 12 to 17 months with parent or loving caregiver. Babies are invited to bring a loving caregiver along for songs, simple stories, and other activities that introduce our youngest patrons to the pleasures of the library.
- Pre-School Storytime – March 12, 19 & 26 (10am to 10:30): Ages 3 to 5 years old. Enjoy stories, action songs, puppets, and crafts!
- Musical Mayhem – March 13, 20 & 27 (11am to 11:30am): Ages 1 – 6. Fun with action songs, fingerplays, instruments, beanbags, parachute time, and a short story.
- Drop-In Storytime – March 14, 21 & 28 (9:30am to 10am): Ages 0-5. Stories, fingerplays, and large-movement activities. Have a playdate with toys and new friends!
- Toddler Storytime – March 14, 21 & 28 (10:30am to 11am): Ages 24 to 36 months old. Stories, marches to musical instruments, fingerplays, and large movement activities for that terrific two in your life. Emphasis is on the introduction of some fundamental children’s materials, learning to listen in a group, and taking turns. Registration required.
- Bedtime Storytime – March 14, 21 & 28 (6:30pm to 7pm): Ages 0-5. Join us for a relaxing, lullaby-inspired quiet evening storytime. Children are encouraged to come in their jammies!
Milford Public Library
330 Family Dr., Milford MI, 48381
- Seuss Scavenger Hunt – March 1-9: Come to the Youth Desk for a search sheet, and start looking! If you find all the pictures, you’ll get a fun prize!
- Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss – March 2 (10:30am to 12pm): Join us as we celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday with stories and crafts. We’ll start out in the children’s area for a couple of favorite Seuss stories at 10:30. Then we’ll move into the Community Room where the kids can enjoy a variety of crafts, fun activities, and have a piece of cake!
- The Lost Leprechaun Escape Room – March 13 (6:30pm to 7:30pm): A lost leprechaun was loose last night in the library and left a huge mess. Find the scattered clues to open the locks to see if we caught the leprechaun. Open all the locks and maybe the leprechaun will share his pot of gold. For families with 2nd-5th graders.
- Baby Fun on Mondays starting March 11 @ 10am: Introduce your baby to rhymes, books, and music. Parents are a child’s first teacher, so learn how to build your child’s language skills. There will be time at the end of each session for playtime and socializing.
- Toddler Storytime on Tuesday starting March 12 @ 10am: Toddlers 18-35 months will experience short stories, movement songs, active rhymes, and fun parachute activities each week. Storytime will be followed by 25 minutes of playtime with our toys.
- Pre-School Storytime on Wednesdays starting March 13 @ 10am: Children experience stories, songs, fingerplays, education activities and sometimes a craft during this 45-minute program. Recommended for children ages 3 to 5.
- Discovery Storytime on Thursday starting March 14 @ 10am: During this 45-minute program, children experience stories, songs, fingerplays, followed by time to visit different sensory/skills discovery stations.
Northville District Library
212 W. Cady St., Northville, MI 48167
- Magic Carpet Theatre Show – March 14 (4:30pm to 5:15pm): Celebrate March is Reading Month with this highly imaginative readers’ theatre style show with lots of fun audience participation acting out Where the Wild Things Are, The Sneetches and more.
- Drop-In Spring for Kids – March 16 & 20: Kids of all ages drop by the library meeting room to decorate a stand-up wood safari animal.
- Hooray for Lego Day! – March 27 (4:30pm to 5pm): Kids in 1st – 5th grade make a fun hand-sized LEGO creation to be displayed in the youth area of the library. Different design themes featured for each program.
- Drop-In Little Me Storytime – March 8 (10:30am to 11:15am): Join Miss Dorie for music, simple stories, and playtime at this lively lapsit program designed for very young children.
- Drop-In Morning Storytime – March 7 & 28 (10:15am to 10:45am): Join Miss Laura for stories, music and more in this fun storytime for toddlers and preschoolers with a caregiver. Develop your child’s literacy skills, and nurture a love of books and the library.
- Drop-In Super Saturday Storytime – March 23 (11am to 11:30am): Join Miss Julie for stories, music, and much more in this lively storytime best for children ages 2—4, but all ages are welcome.
Plymouth District Library
223 S Main St, Plymouth, MI 48170
- Dr. Seuss Celebration – March 2 (12pm to 3pm): Celebrate Dr. Seuss’s Birthday at the Library! We will have games, crafts, puzzles and more! This program is for children 4 to 12 years old and their families.
- Tabletop Game Day – March 9 (1pm to 4pm): Drop-in! Spend fun afternoons at the library with drop-in tabletop board and card games for adults, teens, and game-loving kids! We’ll provide fresh popcorn, hot cocoa and 15+ games including Quirkle, Forbidden Island and Ticket to Ride, as well as classics like Scrabble and Clue, or bring your own.
- Boogie Woogie Kid – March 17 (3pm to 4pm): Join the piano man with 4 million YouTube views for this FREE family-friendly afternoon of music fun. Boogie-Woogie, Blues, New Orleans, Song, and more! Music from the Swing-dance era for the whole family.
- Baby Time – March 4 & 18 (10am to 11am): Lap Sit storytime and Baby Play! are now combined into one great storytime for children ages 6 – 24 months. There will be a 15 minute song and rhyme time for babies on their care-giver laps followed by a 30 minute playtime.
- Toddler Storytime – March 5, 11, 19 & 26 (11am to 11:30am): Toddler Storytime is for kids in their 2’s & 3’s.
- Kindergarten Readiness – March 6, 13, 20 & 27 (10am to 10:30am): Preschool storytime is for kids in 4’s & 5’s. Parents must remain in the library.
- Family Fun Night – March 6, 13, 20 & 27 (7pm to 7:45pm): Stories and activities for children 2 – 5 years old and their families.
- Drop-in Storytime – March 9 & 23 (10am to 11:30am): Saturday at 10:00 am of each month will be drop-in storytime for children 2-7 and their families.
Waterford Township Public Library
5200 Civic Center Drive, Waterford, MI 48329
- Babytime – March 5, 12, 19 & 26 (10am to 10:30am): Drop-in storytime for ages 6 mos. – 15 mos. Each session is 30 minutes long and includes a variety of stories, songs, fingerplays, and other activities
- Two Year Old Storytime -March 5, 12, 19 & 26 (11am to 11:30am): Drop-in storytime for 2 year olds. Each session is 30 minutes long and includes a variety of stories, songs, fingerplays, and other activities.
- Three Year Old Storytime – March 6, 13, 20 & 27 (11am to 11:30am): Drop-in storytime for 3 year olds. Each session is 30 minutes long and includes a variety of stories, songs, fingerplays, and other activities.
- Toddlertime – March 6, 13, 20 & 27 (11am to 11:30am): Drop-in storytime for ages 16 mos. – 23 mos. Each session is 30 minutes long and includes a variety of stories, songs, fingerplays, and other activities.
West Bloomfield Township Public Library
4600 Walnut Lake Rd, West Bloomfield, MI 48323
- Little Artists – March 11 (10am to 11am): Get creative at the library! Use your imagination, originality and exploration skills to create open-ended crafts and take an artistic adventure. The possibilities are endless.
- Rock ‘N’ Read – March 12 (10am to 10:30am): Rock the morning away with books, finger plays and music. This interactive storytime encourages participation from the child and caregiver while promoting early literacy skills, music and movement, and cognitive growth.
- Shamrocks, Leprechauns & Gold – March 14 (11am to 12pm): Do you feel lucky? Enjoy this fun, interactive shamrock storytime. We will sing, dance, move and groove the morning away. Don’t forget to wear your green!
- Sunday STEAM – March 17 (1pm to 3pm): Use your imagination to construct, build, draw and create together as a family.
- Books and Babies – Fridays @ 10am: It’s never too early to introduce babies to books. Stimulate your baby’s brain development through movement, rhymes, finger plays, puppets, books and creative gross motor skill activities. This is an interactive program designed to build positive communication between baby and caregiver.
- Spectacular Saturdays – Saturdays @ 11am: Start your weekend with a lively, interactive storytime. This storytime engages the whole family through amazing stories, music and dancing. Recommended for ages birth to 5 years
- Creative Families – March 9 & 23 (2pm to 3pm): Do you and your child like to draw, paint and make crafts? Drop in for open-ended activities that encourage families to explore, use their creativity and express their originality through craft projects.
- Full STEAM Ahead – March 4 & 18 @ 10am: This program uses the STEAM curriculum and incorporates science, technology, engineering, art and math into hands-on activities. Creative, open-ended learning experiences are provided at each station for children and caregivers to do together. Get ready for fun, excitement and learning! (Recommended for ages 2- 5 years)
- Terrific Tots – March 6 & 13 @ 10am & 11am: Kick start your child’s learning and encourage a love of reading while joining us for a language-rich storytime. We combine stories, fingerplays, music and movement so active toddlers can learn while they play. Hands-on activities help develop early literacy, cognitive, social, math, sensory and gross motor skills. (Recommended for ages 1- 3 years)
- ¡Cuentos y Canciones! – March 7, 14 & 21 (10am to 10:30am): This interactive, dual-language storytime for parents and children helps lay the foundation for a second language. Through movement activities, songs, stories and games, you and your child can learn Spanish in a relaxed and fun environment. (Recommended for ages 2- 5 years)
- Read to a Dog – March 10 & 24 (1pm to 2pm): What happens when you bring children, dogs and books together? You get happy, confident children who love to read. Trainers with their well-behaved certified therapy dogs* will be on hand so elementary students can practice independent reading skills while reading to a friendly canine companion.
Looking for more ways to celebrate National Reading Month?
Check out these articles:
- 7 Fun Ways To Celebrate National Reading Month
- 3 Things To Do In Detroit For national Reading Month
- We Asked, You Answered: Favorite Childrens’ Books
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..