Get ready for football and FREE family fun at Ford Field on Saturday, August 7th all is for football during…
Wayne County Parks’ Hines Drive is a 17 mile thoroughfare that offers FREE recreational activities in Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Redford, Livonia, Westland, Plymouth and Northville. Here are favorite things to do with kids along Hines Drive.
Plan a park date and check out the various unique playground along Hines Drive. Each play structure has unique equipment and activities for kids of all ages. Here are our favorites you’ll want to check out:
- Hines Park (7651 N Merriman Rd, Westland, MI 48185): The massive treetop themed playground is great for kids who love to climb and be adventurous.
- Sumac Pointe (37507 Edward N Hines Dr, Livonia, MI 48150): Robot lovers will have fun exploring this playground. The soft hilly ground is fun to run on as you race between unique play sets. Make sure to check out Newburgh Lake Too.
- Gunsolly Park (4 LA-18, Plymouth, MI 48170): The creative colorful playground has no slides (but there are swings) but lots of structures to climb up, in and around.
- Waterford Bend Park (6 Mile Station Dr, Northville, MI 48168): The popular park has a small playset and large ropes course for climbing.
Off Road Adventures
Let your litles test their skills at the dirt + pump bike tracks in the Hawthorne Ridge Recreation Area (32088 Edward N Hines Dr, Westland, MI 48185). Bring their favorite RC cars to Gunsolly Mills Car Track (4 LA-18, Plymouth, MI 48170). Kids can race cars on a dirt course and watch from the observation deck above – great birthday party idea!
During sled season head to Cass Benton Park or Middlebelt Hill for the biggest, fastest hills.
Relax on the docks after a busy day and teach the kids how to catch fish at one of these popular spots.
- Nankin Lake Dam: 33682 Ann Arbor Trail, Westland, MI 48185
- Newburgh Pointe: 39399 Edward N Hines Dr, Livonia, MI 48150
- Wilcox Lake Recreation Area: Edward N Hines Dr, Plymouth, MI 48170
Hines Drive has paved walking trails to enjoy but if you’re looking to get back to nature we love exploring the former Native American foot trail at the Holliday Nature Preserve.
Play a family game of disc golf at the 18 hole, Cass Benton Hills Disc Golf Course!
Nankin Mills Interpretive Center
The recently remodeled Nankin Mills Interpretive Center is a great place for FREE hands-on fun and learning. See live reptiles, birds and turtles on the first floor exhibit and head upstairs to learn about the history of the Mill and its relation to Henry Ford. The Center is currently closed to the public.
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..