The days may all be a blur, but we can still get excited for the weekend. After a long week at…
A lot of people need help these days and if you’re looking for ways to give back, here are local organizations that are currently accepting new and gently used items for adults and kids.
PR Kids offers individualized care and education for women and their babies throughout Michigan. The Maternal Infant Health Program (MIHP) is a parent support and coaching program for pregnant mothers and infants that promotes healthy pregnancies, positive birth outcomes, and healthy infant growth and development.
- Donations Accepted: baby clothes, non-expired car seats, pack and plays, formula, diaper bags, baby hygiene, bottles/pacifiers/teethers, infant and toddler toys, baby blankets, wipes, and bassinets. Everything must come from a household that has not been exposed to COVID-19. Everything must be freshly disinfected and laundered. All things must be separated by type (ex./ 3-month girl clothing in one bag it wrapped together, 6-month girl clothing in another bag or wrapped separately). If you want to sew or knit they will take baby hats, booties, blankets, bibs, etc.
- Contact Information: (248) 469 – 8191, email@example.com
Brilliant Detroit partners with families, neighborhoods, community organizations, and businesses to mobilize services that empower families with young children in the areas of health, education, and economic security by providing place-based connections to resources. They envision a future where family services and systems are aligned and children have the environment and opportunity to thrive.
- Donations Accepted: Children’s books, baby supplies, school supplies, gently used clothing, household items, and more.
- Contact Information: (313) 483 – 8992, firstname.lastname@example.org
Foster Closet of Michigan provides clothing, toys, shoes, baby equipment, and gear and in some cases furniture to children placed in the foster care system in the State of Michigan. Children are often placed into foster care with no personal items and in many cases, with only the clothes on their backs. The organization provides these kids with stylish new or like-new clothes and personal items helping to begin the process of rebuilding their self-esteem and providing them with belongings they can call their own.
- Donations Accepted: Gently used clothing, cribs/beds, strollers, car seats, high chairs, bikes, toiletries, homemade items, and more.
- Contact Information: (800) 554 – 4966
The mission of the Baldwin Center is to feed, clothe, educate and empower the men, women, and children of the community. The Baldwin Center has served the community of Pontiac, Michigan since 1981 and provides over 25 programs for the surrounding neighborhood.
- Donations Accepted: Currently in need of handmade masks, diapers/pullups, formula, and bottled water. Donations excepted Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- Contact Information: (248) 332 – 6101
Lighthouse of Oakland County and South Oakland Shelter is ‘A New Beacon of Hope’ for those in need and provide a larger reach across all of southeastern Michigan. Lighthouse is centered around building communities that end homelessness and helping people move from crisis toward self-sufficiency.
- Donations Accepted: Currently in need of toilet paper, diapers, baby wipes, formula, and various canned foods.
- Contact Information: (248) 920-6000
Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit is dedicated to helping the community. They provide skilled labor to businesses on a project, part-time and full-time basis. Goodwill helps adults who have a hard time getting or keeping a job and gives them the skills to lead a productive life.
- Donations Accepted: Currently accepting donations at all Metro Detroit locations 7 days a week. For a list of items that are currently being excepted please click here.
- Contact Information: (734) 245 – 0115 (Livonia location)
The Furniture Bank of Southeastern Michigan works to improve the living conditions of children and families in-need within Southeastern Michigan by collecting usable essential furniture from generous donors and distributing these items on a referral basis.
- Donations Accepted: Gently used mattresses and box springs of all sizes, sofas, kitchen tables, and living room furniture. Donations are currently being excepted at their Pontiac warehouse along with excepting furniture pick up appointments.
- Contact Information: (248) 332 – 1300
Photo credit: Goodwill
ABOUT ASHLEY HUBBARD-PORTER
Ashley Porter is a Chicago native who now calls Birmingham home. Ashley and her husband Mike and son Jake love attending local festivals, exploring Detroit’s diverse food scene, and venturing outside of Metro Detroit to enjoy the natural beauty of Michigan. With a background in Early Childhood Education, Ashley loves connecting with and supporting families in her community, which is why she is so excited to be a part of LittleGuide Detroit.