Put on your pink and head to 12 Oaks Mall to check out the Hello Kitty Cafe Truck and Barbie…
Bundle up the kiddos and head downtown because the annual Detroit Tree Lighting Ceremony is Friday, November 22nd @ 5pm.
The Christmas season kicks-off in Detroit on November 22nd and downtown will be buzzing with activity from 5pm to midnight. From the opening of The Rink and lighting of the tree to shopping in Cadillac Square and along Woodward Avenue to Santa and a larger-than-life lighting installation at Beacon Park – there’s a lot to celebrate in the city! Free shuttles will be available to help you navigate between Campus Martius and Beacon Park.
Live musical and ice skating performances begin at 5pm at The Rink before it opens to the public for the season. Bring some skates or rent them from 9 p.m. to midnight.
Admission for The Rink pricing:
- Adults, $10
- Children (12 & under), $8
- Seniors (50 & older), $8
- *Skate rentals $5
MORE HOLIDAY FUN
Carriage Rides: See the city’s sights and sounds from a horse drawn carriage. $10 per person or $40 for private rides.
Cadillac Lodge & Holiday Markets: Find the perfect present at the glass hut pop-ups in Cadillac Square before grabbing a bite to eat at the cozy Cadillac Lodge.
Christmas Greens at Capitol Park: There’s fresh cut trees, wreaths and garland ready and waiting for you to take home for the holiday.
DINING GUIDE: There will be plenty of food trucks around town, but if you want to sit down and warm up, here are some restaurants everyone in the family will enjoy.
Find a burger
- Shake Shack // 660 Woodward Ave.
- Lover’s Only // 34 E Grand River Ave.
- Brome Burger // 607 Shelby St.
- Checker Bar // 124 Cadillac Square
- Townhouse // 500 Woodward Ave
- Pizza Papalis // 553 Monroe Ave.
- Pop + Offworld // 128 Cadillac Square.
- Michigan & Trumbull // 160 W Fort St
- Mootz Pizzeria // 1230 Library St
More family-friendly options
- Get a coney at American or Lafayette // 114 W Lafayette Blvd.
- Find food and fun at Punch Bowl Social // 1331 Broadway St.
- Say Opa at Pegasus Taverna //558 Monroe Ave
- Warm up with coffee or hot chocolate
PARKING: There will be over 40,000 people downtown for the tree lighting ceremony. Prepare for street closings and find the best place to park here. Some of our go-to options are below:
- Z Lot: 231 Gratiot Ave.
- Detroit Opera House: 1426 Broadway St
- Beaubien Place Garage (Renaissance Center): 238 Beaubien St.
- Greektown: 555 E Lafayette St
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..