Bundle up the kiddos and head downtown because the annual Detroit Tree Lighting Ceremony at Campus Martius is Friday, November 16th @ 5pm.
The Christmas season kicks-off at Campus Martius on November 16th and downtown will be buzzing with activity from 5pm to midnight. Here’s what you need to know about the holiday celebration.
- Grammy award-winner CeCe Winans
- Olympic skating duo Alex and Maia Shibutani
- Local skating groups and choirs
- AND Santa!
Following the live performances, The Rink will open to the public! Bring some skates or rent them from 9 p.m. to midnight.
Admission for The Rink is as follows:
- Adults, $10
- Children (12 & under), $8
- Seniors (50 & older), $8
- *Skate rentals $5
MORE HOLIDAY FUN
Carriage Rides: See the city’s sights and sounds from a horse drawn carriage. $10 per person or $40 for private rides.
Cadillac Lodge & Holiday Markets: Find the perfect present at the glass hut pop-ups in Cadillac Square before grabbing a bite to eat at the cozy Cadillac Lodge.
Christmas Greens at Capitol Park: There’s fresh cut trees, wreaths and garland ready and waiting for you to take home for the holiday.
Light Up Beacon Park: Campus Martius isn’t the only park turning on the lights Friday night. Take the FREE shuttle from Campus Martius to Beacon Park and find more holiday fun!
- Winter Lodge: Stay warm in the heated tent and enjoy live performances from Joe Hertler & the Rainbow Seeker and Nadir Omowale.
- Selfies with Santa: Get a pic with Old St. Nick.
- PRISMATICA: Campus Martius isn’t the only place lit up for the season. Stop by Beacon Park and see the new hands on art installation.
DINING GUIDE: There will be plenty of food trucks around town, but if you want to sit down and warm up, here are some restaurants everyone in the family will enjoy.
Find a burger
- Shake Shack // 660 Woodward Ave.
- Lover’s Only // 34 E Grand River Ave.
- Brome Burger // 607 Shelby St.
- Checker Bar // 124 Cadillac Square
- Townhouse // 500 Woodward Ave
- Pizza Papalis // 553 Monroe Ave.
- Pop + OffWorld // 128 Cadillac Square.
- Giordano’s // 1224 Randolph St.
More family-friendly options
- Get a coney at American or Lafayette // 114 W Lafayette Blvd.
- Find food and fun at Punch Bowl Social // 1331 Broadway St.
- Say Opa at Pegasus Taverna //558 Monroe Ave
- Warm up with coffee or hot chocolate
PARKING: There will be over 40,000 people downtown for the tree lighting ceremony. Prepare for street closings and find the best place to park here. Some of our go-to options are below:
- Z Lot: 231 Gratiot Ave.
- Detroit Opera House: 1426 Broadway St
- Beaubien Place Garage (Renaissance Center): 238 Beaubien St.
- Greektown: 555 E Lafayette St
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..