Halloween is all about fun AND candy! And what better way to celebrate than to indulge in one (or all)…
4th of July is midweek and some families will make a day of it and others a week. No matter how much time you are taking to celebrate American Independence, here are some fun and free activities!
Go To A Parade
Start the 4th off on the right foot and watch a parade!
- Downtown Clawson @ 9am
- Downtown Northville @ 10am
- Downtown Wyandotte @ 10am
- Gibraltar @ 10am
- Clintonwood Park (Clarkston) @ 11am
Fireworks and the Fourth go together like peanut butter and jelly. Stay up late and watch the sky light up with bright colors during a firework display.
- Willow Metropark (New Boston): Monday, July 1
- Hudson Mills Metropark (Dexter): Tuesday, July 2
- Shelby Township Independence Fireworks: Wednesday, July 3
- Greenfield Village’s Salute to America (Dearborn): July 3-6
- Lake Erie Metropark (Brownstown): Wednesday, July 3
- United Shore Home Games (Utica): July 4 & 5
- Clawson Park: July 4
- Oakland County Fair (Davisburg): Friday, July 5
Splash & Play
Enjoy fun in the sun! Let the kids get wet and go wild in the water.
- Guide to Metro Detroit Splash Parks
- Top 5 Metro Detroit Water Parks
- Inflatable Water Parks in Michigan
- 5 Beaches the Kids Will Love in Metro Detroit
Plan A Picnic Or A BBQ
Pack a basket or the charcoal and eat outside in the sunshine. Here’s a list of our favorite places to picnic and a few of our favorite recipes:
Go Out for a Sweet Treat
Take a road trip for some farm fresh ice cream and get a taste of what life was like in 1776.
- Cook’s Farm Dairy – 2950 E Seymour Lake Road Ortonville, MI 48462
- Calder’s Dairy Farm – 9334 Finzel Rd, Carleton, MI 48117
- Crooked Creek Farm Dairy – 75960 Brown Rd, Romeo, MI 48065
Read About the Revolution
Get some more check marks on your Summer Reading list and learn about heroes of the revolution with these fun books.
- John, Paul, George and Ben by Lane Smith
- The Journey of the One and Only Declaration of Independence by Judith St. George
- George Washington’s Teeth by Deborah Chandra
- Worst of Friends by Suzanne Tripp Jurmain
- Independent Dames by Laurie Halse Anderson
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..