Do you need ideas for activities to do with kids? Tried and true suggestions that real moms actually do? Here…
It’s the unofficial start of summer and we’re ready to have some fun! Here are five fun things to do for Memorial Day weekend.
Go to The Beach
The forecast calls for 80 degree weather and the Metro Park beaches are open!
- Kensington Metropark Martindale & Maple Beach (Milford)
- Lake St. Clair Metropark Beach (Harrison Township)
- Stony Creek Metropark Eastwood (Shelby Township)
If you would rather stay home, pick up a new splash pad for the yard. Here are some good buys.
Visit the Farmers Market
Stock up on fresh fruits and veggies for a holiday BBQ.
- Eastern Market // Saturdays, 6am to 4pm
- Royal Oak Farmers Market // Saturdays, 7am to 1pm
- Ann Arbor Farmers Market // Saturdays, 8am to 12pm
- Plymouth Farmers Market // Saturdays, 8am to 12:30pm
- Rochester Farmers Market // Saturdays, 8am to 1pm
- Farmington Farmers & Artisans Market // Saturdays, 9am to 2pm
- Birmingham Farmers Market // Sundays, 9am to 12pm
- Shelby Farmers Market // Saturdays, 9am to 2pm
Go On A Family Bike Ride
Hit the road/paved trails for a family bike ride. Here are some tips (and equipment) for biking with kids.
- Parker Mill County Park (1 miles) – Ann Arbor
- Detroit Riverwalk (3.5 miles) – Detroit
- Island Lake Trail (4 miles) – Brighton
- Lake Erie Metropark Trail (3 miles) – Brownstown
- Clinton River Trail (16 miles) – Rochester Hills, Sylvan Lake, Pontiac, Auburn Hills
- Hines Drive (19.5 miles) – Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Westland, Livonia & Northville
- Macomb Orchard Trail (23 miles) – Rochester, Washington, Romeo, Armada & Richmond
Enjoy A Picnic With A View
Pack a lunch or pick up a meal from your favorite restaurant and eat outside. Here are some beautiful spots around town. Please note that public restrooms are not currently open at all locations.
- Marshbank Park – 2805 Hiller Rd, West Bloomfield Township, MI 48324
- Budd Park – 19000 Clinton River Rd, Charter Twp of Clinton, MI 48038
- Cranbrook House & Gardens – 380 Lone Pine Rd, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
- Belle Isle – 900 Inselruhe Ave, Detroit, MI 48207
- Matthaei Botanical Gardens – 1800 N Dixboro Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
- Lakeshore Park – 601 S Lake Dr, Novi, MI 48375
- Milford Central Park – 195 N Main St, Milford, MI 48381
Remember Our Heroes
Take a moment to say thank you to those who have serviced our country and visit a local memorial.
- Michigan War Veterans Memorial – 500 Temple, Detroit, Michigan 48201
- Veterans Memorial Garden – 6123 Central City Pkwy, Westland, MI 48185
- Melvindale Veterans Memorial – Oakwood, Melvindale, MI 48122
- Veterans Memorial Park – 32400 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48082
Photo credit: Frank McKenna
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..