- This event has passed.
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Celebration
May 19, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
One event on May 19, 2019 at 2:00pm
Join us for an afternoon celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month through a blend of traditional and contemporary performances. A collaboration of the diverse community cultural groups found across Southeast Michigan, these performances showcase the arts of several Asian cultures and promise an unforgettable experience for the whole family.
APA Storytelling and Magic | May 18 & 19 | 1:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Storyteller and conjurer, Ming combines words and magic from a variety of Asian traditions for a unique and entertaining performance.
Mongolian Culture through the Morin Khuur | May 18 & 19 | 1:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- We will demonstrate the traditional Mongolian music instrument Morin Khuur, also known as “horse head fiddle.” “Mongolian Traditional Music of the Morin Khuur” was inscribed in the “Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity” in 2008. Since then morin khuur became a world-renowned musical.
Indonesian Cultural Celebration | May 18 & 19 | 2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
- Join us in celebration of Indonesian culture and community. In addition to traditional dance and music, we will be performing a modern adaption of the legend that entails beginning of the Majapahit Kingdom, “Ken Dedes and Ken Arok”.
Chinese Martial Arts | May 18 & 19 | 2:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Chinese martial arts, often named under the umbrella terms kung fu and wushu, are the several hundred fighting styles that have developed over the centuries in China. Brought to you by our local Tai Chi masters is the presentation with various Tai Chi weapons: sword, saber, glaive, and double nine section chain whip.
That We Walk (APA Contemporary Dance) | May 19 | 2:30 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.
- Each step builds the unspoken story of the land that we call home. IS/LAND: That We Walk contends that we continue to walk, building our hope for a future narrative and a stronger sense of self; exploring how we might answer questions of separation/ autonomy, identity, and belonging.
Our Stories | May 18 & 19 | 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Highlights of the APAHM Celebration includes Our Stories, a performance blending traditional and contemporary artistry presented in song, dance, music and spoken word. Our Stories are a collaboration of eleven Detroit area cultural groups, representing China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Philippines, Polynesia, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.