Aqua-Tots Swim School is expanding its Michigan footprint and opening its 9th metro Detroit location in Berkley this fall. …
Next year, you’ll be able to easily walk, bike or stroll the 3.5 miles of the Detroit Riverfront from Hart Plaza to Belle Isle as the transformation of the former Uniroyal site begins this month.
The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy and its partners broke ground on the Riverwalk extension along the Uniroyal site which is the final piece of the East Riverfront. This project will complete the Conservancy’s vision of 3.5 miles of Riverwalk along the East Riverfront and provide important connectivity between world-class riverfront parks and Belle Isle. The project is slated to be an $11 million investment and anticipated to be completed by fall of 2022.
While we await the final portion of the East Riverfront to be complete, there are plenty of destinations to explore. From Hart Plaza to Gabriel Richard Park, here are the family-friendly activities your kids will love.
- Hart Plaza: Home to summer festivals and historic events, the 14 acre plaza is a city icon.
- GM Plaza: Get lost in the RenCen and the step out for fresh air and a run through The Fountains on the promenade.
- Cullen Plaza: Ride the carousel, ride a bike from Detroit Wheelhouse or get tickets for a Diamond Jack’s River Tours.
- Milliken State Park: Walk through the gardens, get pictures by the lighthouse and go fishing on the shoreline.
- Valade Park: Have fun in the sun on the Riverfront sand beach, let the kids run around the play structures and grab a bite to eat from one of Detroit’s great small businesses.
- Mt. Elliott Park: Have a blast at the pirate themed splash pad.
- Gabriel Richard Park: Stroll through the gardens, stand on the rocks by the river and get a picture with Belle Isle’s MacArthur Bridge in the background.
From east to west the Detroit Riverfront is getting a massive makeover, check out the incredible 5-acre playground Delta Dental is funding at the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Centennial Park that will also open to the public in 2022.
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..