The days may all be a blur, but we can still get excited for the weekend. After a long week at…
Summer is a special time of year. Sunny days, long nights, carefree fun for kids and more freedom to relax as parents. We don’t yet know what summer 2020 will look like. Whether we’ll be able to carry on with familiar traditions or stay closer to home. As we wait to see what’s next, let’s have fun planning for our favorite season.
Family bike rides are the best. It’s a great way to explore the great outdoors, get fresh air and some exercise. If you’re looking for a new place to explore, here are some local bike trails to check out. If you haven’t biked since you were a kid or haven’t biked WITH your kid, here are some items that can help you get started.
- Helmets ($35+)
- MyKick Balance Bike ($90)
- Burley Dash Rack Mount for Kids – Age 1 and older and under 40lbs ($150)
- Thule Camber 4-Bike Car Rack ($300)
- Burley Kazoo Trialercycle – Best for kids ages 4+ ($350)
- CoPilot Model T Trailer – Collapsible bike trailer/stroller for up to 2 kids weighing a combined 100lbs ($350)
Looking for pros and cons of bike trailer verses bike seat? James Sawyer gives a nice overview here.
Bike Safety Tips
- Always wear a PROPERLY fitted helmet (even for kids in a trailer)
- Use bike safety flags for trailers
- Ride on the sidewalk when you can
- Wear bright clothing and use lights/reflectors at night
Photo credit: The Bikes
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..