Spend family time on the water and plan a maritime adventure in a canoe or kayak this summer. Here are our favorite places for kayak rentals, tours or rivers to explore in Metro Detroit.
Skip’s Huron River Canoe Livery
Canoe, kayak, and tubing trips, starting at either Hudson Mills or Dexter-Huron Metropark, and finishing at Delhi Metropark, can be arranged from Skip’s Huron River Canoe Livery in Delhi Metropark. Rates reflect short and long trip options.
- Canoe rental rates: $12.50-$43
- Kayak Rental Rates: $22-$43
- Hudson Mills Metropark: 8801 N. Territorial Road, Dexter, MI 48130
- Dexter-Huron Metropark: 6535 Huron River Drive, Dexter, MI 48130
Heavner Nature Connection & Canoe Rental
Heavner Nature Connection offers unique outdoor educational and Recreational Programs for everyone. Experience wilderness paddling close to home. Launching from one of our four locations in Southeast Michigan, meander on the water through quaint towns and in beautiful state recreation areas, city parks and metroparks – stopping to hike, swim, picnic, fish, camp, and walk through town along the way. Rates reflect short and long trips and vary per location.
- Canoe rental rates: $28-$35
- Kayak Rental Rates: $20-$50
- Proud Lake: 2775 Garden Rd Milford, MI 48381
- Kensington Metropark: 4570 Huron River Pkwy, Milford, MI 48380
- Newburgh Lake: 38615 Edward N Hines Dr., Livonia, MI 48150
- Island Lake: 12950 Grand River Rd, Brighton, MI 48116
Motor City Canoe Rental
Canoe and kayak trips, starting at either Lower Huron or Willow, and finishing at Oakwoods, can be arranged from Motor City Canoe & Kayak Rentals in Oakwoods Metropark. Motor City Canoe & Kayak Rental is open daily through the end of August, weather and river conditions permitting from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Rates reflect short and long trips.
- Canoe rental rates: $25-$45
- Kayak Rental Rates: $25-$45
- Oakwoods Metropark: 32911 Willow Road, New Boston, MI 48164
- Atwater Paddles: 26425 Atwater St., Flat Rock, MI 48134
H2E River Adventures
For over 35 Years of experience canoeing the Huron River Water Trail from Flat Rock to Lake Erie. H2E’s goal is to provide an affordable, healthy, fun, safe, outdoor, family recreational opportunity for the entire community. Rates reflect short and long trips and individual or group rate.
- Canoe rental rates: $15-$50
- Kayak Rental Rates: $25-$4o
- Downtown Flat Rock: 28911 Seneca St, Flat Rock, MI 48134
- Labo Park: 22215 S Huron River Dr, Rockwood, MI 48173
- Hull’s Trace Boat Launch: 36495 W Jefferson Ave, Brownstown Charter Twp, MI 48173
Riverside Kayak Connection
Based in Wyandotte, Michigan Riverside Kayak Connection’s retail location has kayaks, paddling accessories, and roof racks. The two summer rental locations are Belle Isle State Park in Detroit and Wayne County’s Elizabeth Park in Trenton. Classes are offered in Detroit and Southgate and there are tours all along the Detroit River.
- Canoe rental rates: $15 per hour
- Kayak Rental Rates: $10-$15 per hour
- Flynn Memorial Pavilion (Belle Isle): 3809 Loiter Way in Belle Isle Park, Detroit, MI 48207
- Tourist Lodge (Elizabeth Park): 3873 West Jefferson Avenue, Trenton, MI 48183
Hidden away in the south east corner of Milford Village is a beautiful two acre parcel of land on the Huron River. This is the home of Village Canoe Rental. Rustic, lots of wildlife, and a picnic area for your enjoyment. Pickup and put-in service is available, reservations are recommended on weekends.
- Canoe rental rates: $36 all day
- Kayak Rental Rates: $36 all day
Address: 1216 Garden Road, Milford, MI 48381
Clinton River Canoe & Kayak
Regardless of your paddling ability, we offer trips for those of all skill levels. Choose an adventurous paddle on the Clinton River through Class II-III rapids, an exciting intermediate run, or opt for a relaxing paddle through family-friendly park areas. Rediscover the scenic beauty of the Clinton River from the unique vantage point of a canoe or kayak.
- Canoe rental rates: $40-$50
- Kayak Rental Rates: $30-$40
Address: 37328 Utica Rd, Sterling Heights, MI 48312
Detroit River Sports
Detroit River Sports offers a unique way to explore the Motor City and specialize in offering kayak and stand up paddle board tours of the Detroit River and the islands of the city’s East side. Rates reflect tour options, rentals are not available for independent trips.
- Kayak Rental Rates: $20-$50
Address: 14601 Riverside Boulevard in Detroit, MI 48215
Ann Arbor Parks and Recreation
Ann Arbor Department of Parks and Recreation offers two river trips both of which paddle through the Argo Cascades and on down the Huron River through the city of Ann Arbor. Rates reflect individual or group rates.
- Canoe rental rates: $10-$27
- Kayak Rental Rates: $21-$27
- Argo Park Livery: 1055 Longshore Dr, Ann arbor, MI 48105
- Gallup Park Livery: 3000 Fuller Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..