Aqua-Tots Swim School is expanding its Michigan footprint and opening its 9th metro Detroit location in Berkley this fall. …
Pick out school supplies, attend parent meetings, arrange after-school care – there’s plenty of things to do before the kids are back in class. As daunting as those tasks may sound, there are some fun things to check off the list too! Here are a few things to do before summer is over.
Back to School Photos
Pack a picnic, put on the cute clothes and snap some pictures to remember the next milestone in their lives. Whether you want a waterfront setting, a garden view, farm animals friends or to make it a field trip – here are some of our favorite places to picnic and take pictures!
No photographer needed for these pictures, here are some fun ideas from Pinterest:
- Include their favorite books
- Pull out the chalk
- Buy a balloon
- Write it out
- Use a dollar store (or section in Target!) sign
- Just say cheese
Pick Out an Outfit for Day 1
A new outfit can brighten a day and calm the nerves. Find the perfect shirt or skirt that will help your little feel good on their first day. If you want to splurge at a local boutique or find something at consignment shop, here are some local stores to check out.
- Little High Flyers // Detroit
- James and Olive // Rochester
- Connie’s Children Shop // St. Claire Shores
- Lil Rascals // Birmingham
- Baby Baby Plus More // Northville
- Sweet Peas // Dearborn
- Rugrat Resale // White Lake
Stay Up Late (One Last Time)
Before you get hunkered down with the bedtime routine plan a last hurrah. Go to the drive-in or catch a FREE movie in the park!
- Tuesday, August 21 @ 6:30pm: Sherlock Gnomes // Novi
- Friday, August 24 @ 8pm: Metropolis // Detroit
- Friday, August 24 @ 7:30pm: The Incredibles // Birmingham
- Friday, August 24 @ 7:30pm: Coco // Ann Arbor
- Friday, August 31 @ 8pm: Sing // Detroit
Take One Last Trip
We’ve all seen or heard on social media how we only get 18 summer vacations with our kids and we want to make the most of it! Book an overnight stay at the hotel down the street (make sure they have a pool!) or explore a new neighborhood for a day. Here are some fun things to do in the cities around town.
Want to do a few more things before summer is over?
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..