School's out for MLK Day and if you're looking for places to go, here's a list of what's open around…
The Detroit Kite Festival on Belle Isle is one of our favorite events each year and we’re thrilled to share that is happening again this year, it will simply look a little different. Pick out a kite and mark your calendars for Sunday, July 12th.
For the last 3 years hundreds have flocked to Belle Isle in July to fly kites outside, as part of the annual festival. The timeless hobby has seen a resurgence in recent years and the simple, peaceful activity is as popular now as ever. Instead of everyone gathering in one location, this year’s festival will be held at multiple locations across metro Detroit. Reserve a free ‘ticket’ to let organizers know you plan to participate and get ready for family fun.
Recommended Detroit Parks for Kite Flying
- Belle Isle: Sunset Dr, Detroit, MI 48207
- Gabriel Richard Park : 7130 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI 48207-3741
- Eliza Howell Park: 23751 Fenkell Ave, Detroit, MI 48223
- Balduck Park: 5271 Canyon St, Detroit, MI 48236
- Rouge Park: 21860 Joy Rd, Detroit, MI 48228
- Chandler Park: 12200 Chandler Park Dr, Detroit, MI 48213
- Palmer Park: 910 Merrill Plaisance St, Detroit, MI 48203
- Alfred Ford Brush Park: 100 Lenox St, Detroit, MI 48215
- Jayne Field: 13200 Conant St, Detroit, MI 48212
Recommended Metro Detroit Parks for Kite Flying
- Lake St. Clair Metropark: 31300 Metro Parkway, Harrison Township, MI 48045
- Kensington Metropark: 4570 Huron River Parkway Milford Michigan 48380
- Maybury State Park: 20145 Beck Road, Northville, MI 48167
- Sterling State Park: 2800 State Park Rd, Monroe, MI 48162
- Pinckney Recreation Area: 8555 Silver Hill Rd, Pinckney, MI 48169
- Nichols Arborteum: 1600 Washington Hts, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Stoney Creek Metropark: 4300 Main Park Dr, Shelby Charter Twp, MI 48316
Share your experience and use the hashtag #Detroitkites2020, tag @littelguidedetroit in your pictures and we’ll share too.
Need a kite? Buy one from the Festival online at The Kite Shop.
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..