Holiday shopping is stressful, and the truth is, having more toys (a.k.a. messes waiting in the wings) at home is stressful too. This Christmas, consider a new kind of gift – an experience that the littles in your life won’t forget.
A Trip to the Theatre
Get dressed up and spend an afternoon or evening at the theatre. The timeless tradition creates memories that last a lifetime. Find tickets to a holiday show or make plans for next year!
- A Christmas Carol @ Meadowbrook Theatre: December 1 – 23
- A Charlie Brown Christmas @ Fox Theatre: Saturday, December 15
- A Christmas Story @ Fox Theatre: Thursday, December 20
- Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker @ Fox Theatre: Sunday, December 23
- Disney’s Aladdin @ Detroit Opera House: December 12 – January 13
- Sesame Street Live! Make Your Magic @ Fox Theatre: January 24 – February 2
- Pinkalicious The Musical @ City Theatre: February 16
- Paw Patrol Live! Race to the Rescue @ Fox Theatre: February 28 – March 3
Get a Family Museum Membership
Memberships aren’t cheap but they support vital community assets AND give you a go-to outing for a year. We love memberships because they quickly pay for themselves. A day at the Zoo means you’ll want to spend the ENTIRE day at the zoo (which can be a lot for everyone), with a membership you can stop by for an hour at anytime and have a lot of fun!
- Detroit Zoo ($85-$109)
- Michigan Science Center ($75)
- The Henry Ford ($185-$360)
- Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum ($80-$100)
- Cranbrook Institute of Science ($75-$350)
You don’t need a plane ticket or even a long car ride for a fun family getaway. Get out of the house and have a good time at an indoor waterpark. Then order some room service and stay up late watching movies on demand in your hotel room. It might not feel far for you, but your kids will think you went to the end of the earth.
- Wyndham Garden Sterling Heights
- Zehnder’s Splash Village
- Bavarian Inn
- Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel
- Adventure Bay Family Water Park
Detroit is a sport city. We can’t escape our fandom and win or lose, a game is always more fun when your kids are cheering for the home team in the seat next to you. Pick up a team shirt and put tickets to a game with it.
- Detroit Pistons ($21+)
- Detroit Red Wings ($34+)
- University of Michigan Basketball ($20+)
- Team USA Hockey ($10-12)
It may not be the most appealing gift for kids to receive, but they certainly will appreciate the contributions to their education when the time comes!
Sign Up For A Class
Christmas joy can come every week when you have a class to look forward to. Cultivate your little one’s big talent or help them find it with an 8 week class.
- Dive-In & Learn To Swim at Goldfish Swim School
- Giddy Up at Horseback Riding Lessons
- Hit the Ice for Hockey or Figure Skating
- Make Music at Any Age & with Different Instruments
- Let Them Shine at Theatre School
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..