It's a new world and esports are a popular pastime for kids and adults. Join a league, plan a party…
One of the best things about the holiday season is visiting with friends and family from out of town. Make your time together more memorable by checking out these places and events during Christmas break.
See a Show
Plan a night (or afternoon) on the town and experience holiday classics and entertaining performances live on the big stage.
- A Christmas Carol @ Meadowrook Theatre
- Disney’s Aladdin @ Detroit Opera House
- A Christmas Story The Musical @ Fox Theatre
- A Home for the Holidays @ Detroit Symphony Orchestra
- Amahl and the Night Visitors @ Macomb Center for the Performing Arts
- Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcrackr @ Fox Theatre
- Detroit Circus @ The Village Theater at Cherry Hill
Take Part In a Hometown Tradition
Introduce a new generation to some of metro Detroit’s favorite activities.
- Holiday Nights @ Greenfield Village
- Wild Lights @ The Detroit Zoo
- Wayne County Lightfest @ Hines Drive
- Santa’s Magic Forest @ Taylor’s Heritage Park
Hit the Ice Rink
Winter has arrived and ice skating is a fun seasonal sport. Bundle up and go skating indoors or out.
- The Rink @ Campus Martius (Detroit)
- USA Hockey Arena (Plymouth)
- Suburban Ice (multiple locations)
- Dearborn Ice Skating Center (Dearborn)
- Arctic Edge (Canton)
- Troy Sports Center (Troy)
- Detroit Skating Club (Bloomfield Hills)
Get Out the House & Stay Indoors
Burn off some cookie calories and the kids’ extra energy at these indoor attractions.
- Escape (Troy)
- Legacy 925 (Oxford)
- Joe Dumars Field House (Detroit + Shelby Township)
- Detroit Kid City (Southfield + Clinton Township)
- Chelsea Treehouse (Chelsea)
- Rochester Play (Rochester)
- Nature’s Playhouse (Ferndale)
Visit A Museum
Museums are always fun and these unique exhibits and events make the visit even more special.
- Free Admission @ Michigan Science Center
- Carnevale Della Scienza @ Cranbrook Institute of Science
- Indoor Snowball Fight & Ice Fishing @ Outdoor Adventure Center
- Princess and The Frog @ the DIA’s Detroit Film Theatre
- Noon Year’s Eve @ Detroit Historical Museum
More Fun Ideas
Looking for something totally different? Try these fun activities.
- Go roller skating @ Rainbow City Roller Rink (an interactive art exhibit)
- Have a pool party @ Goldfish Swim School’s Family Night out
- Get ready for some DEEETROIT Basketball @ Little Caesars Arena
- New Year’s Eve Never Never Land fireworks display @ Downtown Mount Clemens
- Learn and play @ SEA LIFE Michigan and LEGOLAND Discovery Center
Giveaway: Travel the ocean in your backyard at SEA LIFE Michigan and create your own world at LEGOLAND Discovery Center at Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills! Come nose to nose with over 250 species including sharks, rays, seahorses and more in 12 interactive exhibits at SEA LIFE Michigan! Next you can test your engineering skills, go on interactive rides and watch 4D movies at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Michigan. Enter to win 4 tickets to BOTH destinations.
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..