The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is celebrating 170 years of service to the community with a BIG Block Party at…
Thanksgiving Thursday means a long weekend for everyone! Here are some fun family activities, happening both before and after the big turkey dinner.
Take Part in A Turkey Day Tradition
- Find a spot on Woodward and watch America’s Thanksgiving Day Parade LIVE! The Parade kicks off from the corner of Kirby and Woodward at 8:45 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning! If you’re watching from home, turn the tv to WDIV Channel 4 at 10am.
- Bundle up and go on Turkey Trot. Burn some cals before the big dinner on a family-friendly run.
- Strategic Staffing Solutions Turkey Trot (Detroit) – 7:30am to 10am
- Livonia Turkey Trot – 8am to 11am
- Trots with Turkeys (Walled Lake) – 8am to 10am
- South Lyon Turkey Trot – 8am to 11am
- Ann Arbor Turkey Trot – 8:15 am to 11am
- Thanksgiving Turkey Trot (Plymouth) – 9am to 10am
- Turkey Trot for a Cause (Canton) – 9am to 11am
- Hold on to the holiday and go on a Thanksgiving for Nature scavenger hunt Friday @ the Farmington Nature Center.
Visit A Museum
- Discover something new in the galleries at the Detroit Institute of Arts during the special family tours and don’t miss the National Marionette Theare’s performance of Pinocchio!
- We ❤️ FREE! And the Michigan Science Center has FREE admission on Friday, November 29. Stop by and experience one of their 250+ hands-on exhibits, stay for a live show and have some fun on the STEM Playground!
- Learn about history, pick up a fresh fir tree, watch The Polar Express in 3D and find Santa at The Henry Ford Museum.
- Aspiring engineers and robotic lovers can go on Cranbrook Institute of Science’s Robot Odyssey.
- Make some pie in the sky with Pumkin Chunkin’ at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum !
See A Show
Sit back, relax and take in a live production of a holiday favorite.
- A Christmas Carol @ Meadow Brook Theatre, Rochester
- The Illusionist Magic of the Holidays @ Fox Theatre, Detroit
- Disney’s Frozen Jr. @ Canton Village Theater
- The Nutcracker @ Detroit Opera House
- Rudolph The Musical @ Fox Theatre, Detroit
If you’d rather get wet, watch Findig Dory at Mack Indoor Pool’s Dive-In Movie.
Kick-off the Christmas Season
- It’s time to put up the tree! Find one at Blake’s Orchard or a tree farm near you.
- The only nice thing about an early evening is the twinkling lights shine a little brighter
- Get a head start on holiday shopping and take part in the festivities in downtown Detroit.
- Go back in time and have a jolly good weekend at the Holly Dickens Festival or attend a Christmas Ball with your favorite princesses!
Welcome Jolly Old St. Nick To Town
- Kellogg Park (Plymouth) – Friday
- Grosse Pointe Santa Claus Parade – Friday
- Fantasy of Lights Parade (Howell) – Friday
- Holiday Heritage Faire (Shelby Township) – Friday + Saturday
- Crossroads Holiday Magic (Flint) – Friday – Sunday
- Taylor Winter Festival – Saturday
- Santaland Parade (Garden City) – Saturday
- Christmas Parade (Milford) – Saturday
- Tree Lighting Ceremony (Auburn Hills) – Saturday
- Donuts With Santa (Livonia) – Sunday
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..