Thanksgiving Thursday means a long weekend for everyone! Here are some fun family activities, happening both before and after the big turkey dinner.
Take Part in A Turkey Day Tradition
- Find a spot on Woodward and watch America’s Thanksgiving Day Parade LIVE! The Parade kicks off from the corner of Kirby and Woodward at 8:45 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning! If you’re watching from home, turn the tv to WDIV Channel 4 at 10am.
- Bundle up and go on Turkey Trot. Burn some cals before the big dinner on a family-friendly run.
- Strategic Staffing Solutions Turkey Trot (Detroit) – 7:30am to 10am
- Livonia Turkey Trot – 8am to 11am
- Trots with Turkeys (Walled Lake) – 8am to 10am
- South Lyon Turkey Trot – 8am to 11am
- Ann Arbor Turkey Trot – 8:15 am to 11am
- Thanksgiving Turkey Trot (Plymouth) – 9am to 10am
- Turkey Trot for a Cause (Canton) – 9am to 11am
- Farmington Family Friendly Free Turkey Trot – 9am to 11am
- Hold on to the holiday and go on a Thanksgiving for Nature scavenger hunt @ the Farmington Nature Center.
Visit A Museum
- We ❤️ FREE! And the Michigan Science Center has FREE admission on Wednesday, November 21 AND Friday, November 23. Stop by and experience one of their 250+ hands-on exhibits, stay for a live show and have some fun on the STEM Playground!
- Find family fun in the art galleries @ the Detroit Institute of Awesome!
- Learn about history, pick up a fresh fir tree, watch The Polar Express in 3D and find Santa @ The Henry Ford.
See A Show
Sit back, relax and take in a live production of a holiday favorite.
- A Christmas Carol @ Meadowbrook Theatre, Rochester
- Elf The Musical @ Fox Theatre, Detroit
- A Very Electric Christmas @ Music Hall Center, Detroit
- Tinkerbell Visits Storyland @ Northville Marquis Theatre
If you’d rather get wet, watch The Little Mermaid at Mack Indoor Pool’s Dive-In Movie.
Have Some Fun Indoors & Out the House
- Escape (Troy)
- Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum (Farmington Hils)
- Joe Dumars Field House (Detroit + Shelby Township)
- Detroit Kid City (Southfield + Clinton Township)
- Chelsea Treehouse (Chelsea)
- Rochester Play (Rochester)
- Nature’s Playhouse (Ferndale)
Kick-off the Christmas/Chanukah Season
- Put on the Christmas playlist and drive thru Hines Drive @ Wayne County Lightfestor bundle up and explore the Wild Lights @ the Detroit Zoo!
- Make a Menorah handprint plate @ Creative Arts Studio in Royal Oak or a Gingerbread Barn @ Wolcott Mill Farm Center in Ray.
- Go back in time and have a jolly good weekend at the Holly Dickens Festival.
- Visit a tree farm to find your family’s tree!
- Santa Claus is coming to town – here are a few places to find him:
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..