Spring Break is April 1-5 and if you’re looking for things to do with the kids, here are some fun family activities both in and out of town.
Go To the Beach or an Indoor Waterpark
The Beach Detroit is FREE and a fun way to splash around (sans water), it’s also a pretty cool backdrop for a social media post. Find some water for afternoon or an overnight getaway at a local waterpark – here’s a complete list.
See A Show!
Get tickets to the theater and catch your kid’s favorite characters live on stage!
- Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella @ Fox Theatre (Detroit): March 29-31
- Peter Pan @ River Raisin Centre for the Arts (Monroe): March 29-31
- Shrek the Musical @ Pierce Auditorium (Grosse Pointe Park): March 29 – April 6
- PJ Masks Live @ Fox Theatre (Detroit): Thursday, April 4
- Junie B Jones Live @ Michigan Theater (Ann Arbor): Sunday, April 7
Visit A Museum
Learn something new and have hands-on fun at a local museum.
- Cranbrook Institute of Science – Free Admission After 5pm (Friday, April 5) + limited time Doom of the Dinosaur exhibition
- Arab American National Museum – Book + Print Fest (Friday, April 5)
- Detroit Institute of Arts – Free Admission to Tri-County Residents
- Michigan Science Center – Extended hours for spring break!
- Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum
Make Maple Syrup
There’s still time to make some maple syrup and here’s my favorite fluffy pancake recipe you can try with the kids when you get home.
- Maple’s Sweet Story @ Kensington Metropark (Milford): Saturday, March 30 & Sunday, March 31
- Maple Sugar Tours @ Stony Creek Metropark (Shelby Township): Saturday, March 30
- Making Maple Syrup Tour @ Maybury Farm (Northville): Saturday, March 30 & Sunday, March 31
- Journey to the Sugarbush @ Hudson Mills (Dexter): Saturday, March 30 & Sunday, March 31
Plan A Road Trip
Spring Break isn’t the same as your pre-parent years, but it’s always nice to get out of town! Here are some short road trips you can take with the kids.
- Toldeo (1 hours from Detroit)
- Lansing (1.5 hours from Detroit)
- Kalamazoo (2 hours from Detroit)
- Grand Rapids (2.5 hours from Detroit)
Can’t be at home all week with the kids?
Photo credit: IG – @meredithgroat
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..