Summer is here and so are festivals and fairs! Find rides, visit with animals, shop the markets and stay up…
Birthdays are a big deal for little kids. They countdown the days and can’t wait to celebrate. Make it a day they’ll never forget and plan an awesome party at home or on the town.
Have It At Home
Don’t worry about leaving the house, the party can come to you!
- Add another name to the guest list – from princess to super hero, Star Wars and Super Mario, Laurel’s Princess Parties can make your littles dreams come true
- Most days your house feels like a zoo so why not make it official with the Exotic Zoo with cute and cuddly animals to slithering creatures with scales, the Exotic Zoo brings it to you!
- No need to worry about kids bouncing around the house, instead they can jump in a bounce house and play with lawn games from Five Little Monkeys – they have vintage arcade games too! Check out Totcercise and rent a mobile soft play gym for the early years!
- Make it a movie night! Rent a big screen, popcorn machine and party under the stars with 313 Mobile Movie Night.
Plan An Animal Party
Include some special guests to help make it a happy birthday
- Play with animals and at the Barnyard Funland at Blake’s Orchard & Cider Mill.
- Get a private tour of the barn and get up close with animals at Taylor’s Heritage Park Farm. Clarkston Family Farm, Bowers School Farm, Blue Line Farm, Carousel Acres or Domino Farms
- The kids get cake and to feed a croc at The Reptarium or The Creature Conservancy
- Have an underwater adventure and see fish large and small at SEA LIFE Michigan.
- Have a wild time at Howell Nature Center, from animal story times to ziplines there are special themes for all ages and interests.
- Lions, giraffes, camels and more. The guest list will get long when you have a party at Detroit Zoo and Indian Creek Zoo.
Try Something New
It’s not easy watching our kids grow up but with each year comes new experiences and here are some for the big day.
- For the athlete who can’t wait to drive, WhirlyBall is the place to party. A combination of basketball, hockey and Jai-Alai played while riding a bumper car.
- Practice Parkour at Phoenix Freerunning Academy.
- We’ve all at least been to a bowling party as a kid, now your kids can have a fowling (football/bowling) party at the Fowling Warehouse.
- Horse lovers will love the chance to ride ponies with friends at Maybury Riding Stables.
- Capture this age and all the smiling faces at the Selfie Shop in Madison Heights.
- Take the birthday celebration to new heights and try the zip lines at TreeRunner Adventure Park or Troy Gym
Big Kid Moves
They’re not so little anymore, let them test their strengthen and skills at these these adventure zones.
- How high can they claim? Find out at Dyno Detroit or Planet Rock.
- Load them up on sugar and let them bounce off the walls at Airborne, Airtime Trampoline & Game Park, DEFY Detroit, Planet 3 Extreme Air Park, Sky Zone, or Urban Air Adventure Park,
- Take the games offline and battle it out with Laser Tag at Escape, Galaxy Zone, Rev’d Up Fun, or Revolution,
- Let them live out their ninja dreams with obstacle courses, rock climbing, parkour and more at Athletika Sports and Fitness, Castaway Play, Cutting Edge, Ganbaru Detroit, Grits Obstacle Training, The Ninja’s Edge or S.W.A.G Kids Gym.
- You’ve got time before they hit the road so let them hit the track and practice their driving skills at JD Racing, Kart 2 Kart, Midway Sports and Entertainment, Paradise Park, Sportway or CJ Barrymore’s Entertainment.
Make A Splash
Put on your birthday SWIM suit and have a water party anytime of the year.
- Slip and slide at an inflatable waterpark – Jump Island or Whoa Zone.
- Let them run around the splash pad while you take it in from the sideline: Lamarand Splash Pad, H20 Zone Spray Park, Renee Przybylski Spray Park, Spray ‘n’ Play at Indian Springs, and Lily Pad Springs.
- Soak up the sun, ride the waves and take on the big slides at a waterpark: Rolling Hills Water Park, Red Oaks Water Park, or Turtle Cove Family Aquatic Center
- Cold weather babies can still have fun too! Throw a party at one of these indoor water parks: Livonia Recreation Center, Troy Aquatic Center, Summit on the Park, Romulus Athletic Center and Macomb Aquatics Center.
When you can’t play outside but want to get out the house here are some indoor ideas.
- Get creative and make memories and crafts at Creative Arts Studio, Creatopia, The Bee’s Knees Pottery Studio, Pottery Creations or Painting with a Twist
- The kids can play while parents catch up before cake at a play café. Check out: Kidcadia, Jungle Java, Detroit Kid City, Tiny Town Play Lounge, Peppa Pig World of Play, Under the Sea Playground and Rochester Play.
- Dino lovers will have a blast at FunZoneZ Jurassic themed laser tag, arcade and playspace.
- Let your kids have party of their fantasies and pick a theme at Dream Scene, Friendship Factory or The Little Gym
- Build your own adventure and memories for a lifetime at LEGOLAND Discovery Center.
- Have a ball at Dinoland or Yoyo’s Fun Center,
Pick up Hungry Howie’s pizza, bring balloons and invite friends and family to meet up at one of these cool local playgrounds.
- Ride adorable dinosaurs at Dooley Park or Woolley Park
- BIG Train lovers will have the best time at David Shepherd Park. You can also find a smaller train at McClumpha Park
- Find beach vibes at the sandy playgrounds at Valade Park, Kensington Metropark, or Stony Creek Metropark
- When RC cars are on the gift list, break them in at an RC track at Gunsolly Mills Car Track or River Bends Park
- Farm theme parties won’t find a better backdrop then Hess-Hathaway, County Farm Park, Inglenook Park or Halmich Park
- Have accessible fun for all at Scarlet’s Playground, Rotary Park and Marshbank Park.
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..